Ballan Suspended

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raindog

er.....
But why does it take so long to nail them?
At least Italy seeems to be making an effort, unlike another country.....

mangaman

I agree - the French (since the Festina scandal) and now more recently the Italians, Belgians have been very active in their anti-doping.

The key is using the law, in my opinion. Some sort of sporting fraud law allows the police to get involved and a lot of busts have been of people not actually having positive tests, but via wire taps / house searches etc - witness David Millar

I worry, I'm afraid, that the UK and US are dopers' dreams (in fact worse than Spain where sporting fraud has now become a criminal law). We are also suddenly full of world class cyclists...

I found this article interesting BTW

http://epublications.bond.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1003&context=slej

raindog

er.....
What worries me in France is the way the police are involved for what is a sporting misdemeanor and not a civil one. For a sporting drug offence you can be held for up to 48 hours in a cell with sleep deprivation, insults and strip searches. That happened to Virenque and other Festina members and I think David Millar. I've never been able to understand how the police can be involved for such things.
By the way, Millar's autobiography is supposed to come out this year - does anyone know when? Should be a pretty good read I should think as he's an articulate sort of bloke.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
raindog said:
What worries me in France is the way the police are involved for what is a sporting misdemeanor and not a civil one. For a sporting drug offence you can be held for up to 48 hours in a cell with sleep deprivation, insults and strip searches. That happened to Virenque and other Festina members and I think David Millar. I've never been able to understand how the police can be involved for such things.
By the way, Millar's autobiography is supposed to come out this year - does anyone know when? Should be a pretty good read I should think as he's an articulate sort of bloke.

I'm in two minds about the police getting involved. Bookies etc are also involved sooo....

But it is a bit heavy handed

mangaman

raindog said:

I completely disagree.

Doping can't be stopped by drug testing - it doesn't work (Millar is a classic example).

By criminalising drugs you can use effective weapons. (I think you're slightly exaggerating the brutality of the French justice system. There's nothing I can find about strip searches or sleep deprivation.)

Millar's phone was tapped after Gaumont tipped off the police and his flat was searched with him present and used phials of EPO and syringes were found. I find it hard to have a lot of sympathy for the "stress" this caused him at the time.

You could always just race clean and no-one will hassle you.

Doping is also illegal in Belgium, Italy and now Spain (after Puerto). I think it's the way forward.

resal1

Mangaman thanks for the link. Whilst quite superficial in places the theme is quality and the final two paragraphs sum it up nicely. The sporting public pay, but have no voice. Criminal legislation connects the link between the entertainers and the viewing public.

Praying that a home Federation will punish a favourite son, has been proved to be a significant part of the problem. The athlete rarely acts alone and so there are always plenty of others to say that Johnny is ever such a good boy and would rather die than cheat, so even if you do have a couple of determined characters on the board and the evidence is placed on a plate, they get overwhelmed so easily. The cancer is never a definable lump.

The superficiality that grated in the document was that operation Puerto was referred to as an drug bust for cyclists only. Fuentes had over 200 athletes on his books and 34 were cyclists. 2 things then leap out

Point 1: of these 34 , somebody can define the current situation, but I think it is just 3 that were successfully exposed, Ulrich, Scarponi and Jaske that makes a pretty damn poor strike rate for exposure. Burden of proof/willingness to investigate prosecute/problems with international barriers all look like they take a damn significant toll. Does anybody in their right mind think a National Governing body would be 1/100th as capable of investigating/prosecuting. Would yo ulike to see your Fed subs go on a full scale investigation team ?

Point 2: Why were the other sports - Spanish Tennis and Spanish football - allowed to walk away with little stuck to them? Makes a case for even more independance in terms of investigation and prosecution.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
According to cyclingnews, Cunego abandoned today due to Mantova police suspicion:

The race lost a number of riders today, with the most notable being Lampre's Damiano Cunego. He is said to be under investigation in the Mantova Italian doping investigation, and the team had announced before the stage that he was suffering from intestinal problems. Cunego started the stage but abandoned about 25 km in.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
raindog said:
Is this the end of Lampre?

Very likely. I saw somewhere else that Gerdemann is trying to explain away some dodgy blood values from 2006/7 and he also dropped out of the Pais Vasco with a 'stomach problem'. :blush::rolleyes:

raindog

er.....
mangaman said:
I completely disagree.
It's not that I agree or disagree, I just can't understand how police can be involved when there's no civil offence. Certain peds are forbidden in certain sports, but they're just sporting regulations like the minimum bike weight. If a cross country runner cheats by taking a short cut does he get taken away in handcuffs?
I'll try and dig out something about the Virenque "garde à vue" if I get time - right, I'm out on the bike now :blush:

Top Bottom