Bamboo bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
On my century ride on Sunday, we stopped at a local frame builders' - they also make bamboo bikes. I'd heard of them but never seen any up close and they were SPECTACULAR!! Really want one!

Here's the info in case you're interested.
http://calfeedesign.com/products/bamboo/

Attachments

• IMG_1356.JPG
    IMG_1356.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 147

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I love the look of some bamboo bikes but all the ones I like are crazy money for what they are. I could buy a titanium bike for a cheaper price. Bamboo bikes can be beautiful artwork but maybe not as practical as conventional bikes.

Nice to look at and will get you admiring glances. However, they are rubbish. The various critical dimensions such as chainline, drop-outs etc are all over the place. Making one of these work is quite a job and even then, not satisfactory. I had to set up one for a customer once and we could not find a rear brake caliper with a long enough drop to get the pads to reach the wheel. The dimension seemed arbitrary.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I see in the other thread that you can buy them in kit form. I might consider getting one and building it for a bit of fun, but I wouldn't necessarily expect it to be any good.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
On a FNRttC a couple of years ago. A couple did the ride on a Bamboo tandem.

Top Bottom