Bamboo Bikes Again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Yesterday I rode a bamboo bike:

IMG_20220703_151753_423.jpg

And also met the lovely Bernice from Ghana Bamboo Bikes.

I think I'm in love.:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

Attachments

• IMG_20220703_151753_423.jpg
    IMG_20220703_151753_423.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
In love with the lovely Bernice or the Bamboo bike?😘

Last edited:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Is there still no bamboo-based bar tape available? :-/

All long as you don't want drops, you can always have Bamboo handlebars though:

Passchier-Gump-Review_13.jpeg

@BrumJim, you can always build your own bamboo frame like I have. Sadly no lovely Bernice or good work for Ghanan communities this way though. That bike does look nicely built though, love the stained bamboo look.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
@BrumJim, you can always build your own bamboo frame like I have. Sadly no lovely Bernice or good work for Ghanan communities this way though. That bike does look nicely built though, love the stained bamboo look.

I know. Bamboo Bicycle Club were at the event too. I almost persuaded a friend of mine to do this for his second bike.

Petrichorwheels

saw a company doing them at a hipster bike show once.
My first and second thought was "why".
Not aware that I got a convincing answer.
I'd go steel - and make it last - and it almost certainly will - for a very long time.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
saw a company doing them at a hipster bike show once.
My first and second thought was "why".
Not aware that I got a convincing answer.
I'd go steel - and make it last - and it almost certainly will - for a very long time.

Does there need to be a why?

Seriously though Bamboo is a really good material for bike frames. A bamboo frame is around about the same weight as steel, depending on how it's constructed. Bamboo is a fast growing species of grass, so pretty sustainable, just the lug construction can be a bit environmentally dubious, again dependant on what's used. The frames themselves have really good riding properties, generally very stiff with a lot of vibration damping making them comfortable over long day rides, they are also infinatally customizable, meaning you can make any kind of frame you desire.

I decided to build one over one winter several years back and documented it all on here. Many folk on here build up bikes from raw frames, I just decided I would like the challenge of going one further and building my own unique, one of bike, including the frame.

As for longevity, don't worry there is a Bamboo bike over 100 years old in a museum in London and my own bike is showing no signs of age after four years, these bikes will easily last the same length of time as any other frame material. It is a shame you don't see more bamboo bikes, but don't write them off as some hipster fad, they are a more than viable alternative to the more accepted frame materials.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/self-build-bamboo-bike-frame-kit-build-thread.225144/

Petrichorwheels

Does there need to be a why?

Seriously though Bamboo is a really good material for bike frames. A bamboo frame is around about the same weight as steel, depending on how it's constructed. Bamboo is a fast growing species of grass, so pretty sustainable, just the lug construction can be a bit environmentally dubious, again dependant on what's used. The frames themselves have really good riding properties, generally very stiff with a lot of vibration damping making them comfortable over long day rides, they are also infinatally customizable, meaning you can make any kind of frame you desire.

I decided to build one over one winter several years back and documented it all on here. Many folk on here build up bikes from raw frames, I just decided I would like the challenge of going one further and building my own unique, one of bike, including the frame.

As for longevity, don't worry there is a Bamboo bike over 100 years old in a museum in London and my own bike is showing no signs of age after four years, these bikes will easily last the same length of time as any other frame material. It is a shame you don't see more bamboo bikes, but don't write them off as some hipster fad, they are a more than viable alternative to the more accepted frame materials.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/self-build-bamboo-bike-frame-kit-build-thread.225144/

not entirely convinced I'm afraid, or at least that worth the bother.

>>Does there need to be a why?

well yes - I'd ask "why" about lots of alternative materials.

and the bamboo bikes I saw were not a cheap option.

>>they are also infinatally customizable, meaning you can make any kind of frame you desire.
well you mean because they are put together from tubes? well yes I would accept that.

>>As for longevity, don't worry there is a Bamboo bike over 100 years old in a museum in London
mm - in a museum? what's it's riding history?
which museum by the way?

In truth I don't see steel bikes as a major planet threat in the grand scheme of things. If lots of folk ditched their steel cars and limited their flying for a life largely on bikes and public transport we'd be well ahead.

Many of my steel bikes are second hand and would have been off to the tip if I hadn't stepped in to buy them and rekit them out. I'd be far more concerned about bikes built of materials which might not last and folk might ditch.

still enjoy riding whatever you ride - and am sure you will.

Top Bottom