Ban Surface dressing of roads, sign the Petition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Council contracted the lot out in our area its all being done under a PFI now, haven't seen any surface dressing done since it was. All the work I have seen done involves scraping the road up and laying smooth tarmac. The logic they use for doing roads though is a mystery as some seem perfectly ok roads, while others are a total state. Aint cheap either it costs the local tax payer 18 million a year and that's with 62k households for council tax.

Drago

Legendary Member
My bro in law is a civil engineer, and he bucks the councils official "it's a cheap way of improving a road surface'" line. He reckons it only very briefly makes an improvement, weeks, months at the most, then as the chips start to loosen they themselves provide an abrasive medium between tyres and the road surface which actually accelerates the wear of the road surface.

My biggest personal bugbear is thwen the chips have worn off, usually on a corner or junction where the load through the car tyres is greatest, leving a slick, glass smooth bitumen surface which is dodgy in the dry and like ptfe in the wet.

david k

Hi
is that the quality of the job rather than the surface?
the new surface near me is very good, only the corners look terrible were they took little care, if that leads to an issue thats the job not the surface

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm not sure how easy it is to influence the quality of the job. They spray the Marmite, they sprinkle the rice crispies. It'd be pretty hard to muff up either process.

Top Bottom