Bananas & Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wester

Guru
When is the best time to eat bananas when going on a cycling stint ?

is it best to eat them before during or after cycling if before is best how long before cycling is the best time to eat them 1/2/3 hours ?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I am just about to go out for a ride:smile: and thought i might take one with me. I believe they get energy into your system fairly quickly due to the fructose, for slow release energy complex carbs are better. For that eat brown pasta or rice well before you go out even the night before.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You need the User10571 solution of Banana storage

3773124166_ccce9f62cb.jpg

Garz

Squat Member
Wester said:
When is the best time to eat bananas when going on a cycling stint ?

is it best to eat them before during or after cycling if before is best how long before cycling is the best time to eat them 1/2/3 hours ?

I would say it only takes about 20 mins for the energy to kick in from eating one, so depending on how far your riding, you have to time the bonk factor. If you know you roughly bonk at say 30 miles then pop the banana 20 mins before the 30 mile marker.

Its not a hard and fast rule but is good enough as so many other variables to consider. The worst thing to do is eat when you are bonking as its too late. :biggrin:

longers

Legendary Member
The ripeness of the banana affects the speed of availability of the energy from it.
A ripe one will be digested and processed for use before a green one will.

Bill Gates

A banana eaten before you ride 15 - 20 minutes will be in the system digesting before you ride and then begin taking sips of energy drink starting 20 minutes into the ride should do the trick. It then depends on the duration of the ride how much energy foodstuffs you take with you if any at all.

Crankarm

Guru
Eat them before, during and after your ride. In fact take a whole bunch, the blacker the better, and just split one open when you're feeling peckish, chucking the skin over your shoulder and under your competitors' wheels :tongue: :tongue:.

Top Bottom