Banesto Pinarello no idea how to change gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

karel

Hi, I bought this bike as a change from the mountain bike last year on eBay and have just taken it out today for the first time. The gears are something I have never come across before. It is just a simple single plastic button fixed to the handle bars that when pressed the gears went to the highest, but I carried on pressing hoping they would go back to the lowest and nothing, the bike is just stuck in the highest gear. Normal gears you go the other way, but the button just presses one way, there was what looked like something under the brakes that may act as a lever of some kind, but it does nothing at all.

Any advice as i just cant ride it and am totally lost on what to try.

Thanks

amaferanga

Veteran
Push the whole of the right brake lever inwards to change to a larger sprocket on the cassette. Likewise push the whole of the left brake lever to change to a larger chainring.

OP
OP
K

karel

Tried that on both sides and nothing at all happened, pulled the lever in and peddled, nothing, pulled the lever in and pressed the button and nothing happened, did this on both sides, just wont change gear.

ChrisKH

Guru
YOu probably need to take this to your local bike shop as the cables could be kapput or in need of adjustment. It does actually have cables fitted I presume?

I remember the first time I got a new road bike and took it back saying the indexing needed adjustment as the gears weren't changing right. Apparently there was a trim mechanism in the left lever which you needed to use in certain gears. I wouldn't have known unless I was told.

MajorMantra

It sounds like you may have Campagnolo gears which have a thumb shift to move to smaller cogs/chainrings and a lever behind the brake lever to do the opposite. Is there a lever behind the brake lever? If there is then moving it inwards should shift the chain to large cogs/chainrings.

OP
OP
K

karel

Think your right Chris, trouble is just come back from shop after new inner tube needed fixing, could have got it all sorted then, will take it back, thanks.

OP
OP
K

karel

Yes major there is a lever behind each brake and the button as you describe, on checking it does not seem to be pulling the cable as it should, feels very loose, think it needs adjusting or something. It certainly wont shift the gears unfortunatley.

Thanks

Top Bottom