Bang, ow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthames

Über Member
Riding to my once fortnightly session to sign for my job-seekers allowance I turn through this bend and right on the apex is this open cast mine pothole. Being a left hander I didn't see it until I was on top of it. The front wheel hits it with an almighty bang, luckily I had managed to keep it upright. However, the impact travelled up the forks and transferred into my left wrist nearly spraining it.

I will post pictures of the offending hole when I have transferred them from my phone to the computer.

Also be reporting this one to fill that hole.

NigC

There's so many craters around at the moment that cycling has become even more dangerous: Go through it and risk damaging yourself/your bike or go around it and risk the traffic - either way we're screwed!!!

Hope the wrist is not too painful :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Matthames

Matthames

Über Member
gouldina said:
What has being a left-hander got to do with not seeing it? A bike's symmetrical isn't it?

:thumbsup:

It was hidden by the kerb right up till the entrance to the corner, which is about 90 degrees. However, it jutted out far enough from the kerb to get any cyclist riding in secondary. Which on this corner is a good thing to do as a lot of motorists tend to cut this particular corner, plus also it is fairly narrow and used by buses.

Anyway I have uploaded the pictures.

4539913573_71005e9116_b.jpg

This is the offending pothole that I hit. The bike wheel is there to give an idea of scale.

There is this one further down the road that seems like it leads to the middle of the earth.

4539913567_873d5b4759_b.jpg

gouldina

Matthames said:
It was hidden by the kerb right up till the entrance to the corner, which is about 90 degrees. However, it jutted out far enough from the kerb to get any cyclist riding in secondary. Which on this corner is a good thing to do as a lot of motorists tend to cut this particular corner, plus also it is fairly narrow and used by buses.

Oh. I now realise you meant left-hand bend rather than you being a left-hander.
I'm an idiot. Thanks.

:thumbsup:

Sambu

as your jobless, cant you fix it?

Tynan

Veteran
it's far better than it was a few months ago, loads have been fixed but there's lots left and new ones just starting to get nasty

daylight is a great help

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
It has been dug there deliberately by the Government to catch out people like you and so reduce the number of JSA claimants. You will now be able to claim disability benefit.

Echolalia

Veteran
I know the exact moment you described OP, it's a wonder how a bike can live through such torture, but they are a tough beast and with your time will amaze with their durability.

OP
OP
Matthames

Matthames

Über Member
Echolalia said:
I know the exact moment you described OP, it's a wonder how a bike can live through such torture, but they are a tough beast and with your time will amaze with their durability.

I know, my bike is about 15 years old at least. What's more amazing is that this particular bike is so incredibly lightweight, yet is designed to handle the rough stuff.

Top Bottom