Bank charges and how to recoup them

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

col said:
You only need to write a letter asking for the overcharging to be given back to you,but it normally ends up with your account being closed.
Account closure is apparently rare. Last time I checked, it was only happening in a handful of cases with one bank (A&L iirc)

yenrod said:
Ive found my bank RBS 'usually' gives back or cancels charges.

I must admit I got one refunded only recently through a load of pure bullshitting.

Stick on a Giant said:
Dom, I'll only get upset if I have to start paying for my banking transactions. If anyone thinks the banks won't find another way of keeping their profits up if bank charges have to be reduced they need to wake up.

Some already do charge for basic account maintenance, e.g. First direct. Their charges can be avoided though.

Bigtallfatbloke

I don 't have much cash, which, to a degree makes my point.

papercorn2000

trustysteed said:
errr, where do you put your cash then?

*puts on black outfit and balaclava and arms himself with A-Z and BTFB's address.

I kid you not, once got a call to an old (very old) lady's house. She claimed that she had been burgled. We went round and she claimed she couldn't find her money. It was supposed to be in her wardrobe. When we looked, the cupboard and wardrobe in her bedroom was full of biscuit tins - each one crrammed with tenners! We estimated that she had 50 to 70 grand squirreled away in her bedroom. When we pointed out the missing money, she was so happy and tried to press a handful of tenners each on us!

We eventually mangaged to track down her daughter who told us that her mum refused to put the money in the bank as she didn't trust them!

If any of the local neds had got wind of this... it does not bear thinking about!

k-dog

Stick on a Giant said:
K-dog - so you are saying that despite having read the terms and conditions of what you signed up to, you want to complain about the bits that don't suit you!
When will people be prepared to take responsibility for their actions?

I'm not sure where you got that from what I said - all I said was that if you ask for charges back they give you them and then tell you they're not giving you anymore back - I thought that was common knowledge and is their way around the business of the last few years where people were claiming large amounts - they want one payment and then they're done.

Didn't notice that I'd mentioned complaining about anything - probably because I haven't because I can look after my own affairs.

Top Bottom