Bar end shifter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

starhawk

I am not entirely satisfied with my gripshifters and are thinking about the bar end shifter which seems interesting. But where are the wire going out? Inside the the steering tube? How do you get it out from the tube? I have a Trice and have seen Trice equipped with barend shifters, are they equipped with special fittings or is there an easy way to get it out of the tube?

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
The gear cable comes out of the body of the shifter and runs alongside the bars, usually under bar tape (I have them on my drop bar tourer) in the same way as brake cables.

OP
OP
starhawk

starhawk

OK! So I'll probably have to make a canal in the grip. But the real problem seems to be finding an 8 speed shifter, checked som sites and found only 7, 9 and 10 speed bar end shifters

byegad

Legendary Member
I thread the cable up the front side of the grip and have the shifters orientated to accommodate this, making moving the shift lever forward slackens the cable. I did try it the other way round but was concious of the cable under the grip on my palm under hard braking. All three of my trikes are set up this way.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
OK! So I'll probably have to make a canal in the grip. But the real problem seems to be finding an 8 speed shifter, checked som sites and found only 7, 9 and 10 speed bar end shifters

Only a problem if you want it to index...... my circa 1995 Trice has bar end shifters that can adjust from friction to indexed.

OP
OP
starhawk

starhawk

Did find Shimano Ultegra triple 8 speed shifters dont know if they are compatiable with my SRAM X9 but the description said that they can be adjusted from indexed to friction, or maybe get an Ultegra deralliur (?spelling?)

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Alarm bells start ringing when I see Shimano and SRAM being mixed in shifters.

Please check the compatibility. I know that Shimano and SRAM twist-grips are NOT compatible, as Shinamo (sic ! :laugh:) uses what I call ;) a 'direct pull shift' - ie 1 click and it moves, while SRAM uses a 'geared pull shift' - ie it's geared down (2 clicks) so not as much 'twist' required.

I hope this makes sense :smile: - but I know what I mean ^_^ and had to ensure I got the right twist-grip shifters when changing my hybrid from thumb-shifts to twist-grips.

Fortunately, I did :thumbsup:

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Did find Shimano Ultegra triple 8 speed shifters dont know if they are compatiable with my SRAM X9 but the description said that they can be adjusted from indexed to friction, or maybe get an Ultegra deralliur (?spelling?)

Definitely not, if you are talking about indexed rather than friction. It will index with current Shimano road mechs, and Shimano mtb mechs up to 9 speed.

Top Bottom