Bar Ends

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iSee

Regular
I already have ergonomic grips that came with my Dahon Vitesse i7, but I would like to put on bar ends. Does anyone know where I can find some?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Most online bike retailers or your LBS

Kell

Veteran
The thing you have to watch out for if you’re buying full-on bar ends is how they affect the fold.

I’m not familiar with your bike, but with my Brompton I used some old MTB bar ends I had knocking about.

As I bought the H-Type, then fitted low rise bars, I just had enough room for my bar ends to clear the ground.

But it was a bit of a risk when I bought all the bits as I couldn’t find any info on someone doing exactly the same as me.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Same here. I had stubby clamp on ones on my Viking folder but when transferred to my Brompton (older "M" type bars) one touched the ground and the other interfered with the back tyre when folded. I ended up removing just over a cm from the ends and they work OK now. You have to suck it and see, as what fits one Brompton might not fit another, depending on bar type and model year. The differences are very subtle and hard to predict without trying things for size. I might go for integrated ergonomic grips and bar ends in the fullness of time.

What stops me at present is not knowing what's available without affecting the fold -to get max bar end into the space available, as they are not so cheap that you could buy several to experiment with.

OP
OP
iSee

iSee

Regular
The thing you have to watch out for if you’re buying full-on bar ends is how they affect the fold.

I’m not familiar with your bike, but with my Brompton I used some old MTB bar ends I had knocking about.

As I bought the H-Type, then fitted low rise bars, I just had enough room for my bar ends to clear the ground.

But it was a bit of a risk when I bought all the bits as I couldn’t find any info on someone doing exactly the same as me.
You know, I never took that into consideration. That will be a problem for sure. Fortunately with a Dahon, the handlebars can be twisted. I'll have to make sure that I don't have a long bar end so as to not touch the ground when folding down the bars.

Kell

Veteran
For ref @a.twiddler This is what I did.

As mentioned. It was an H-type, so had much higher bars originally.

But I fitted these low risers and then full size bar ends.

I forgot to mention earlier that my bars are wider than standard Brompton bars too. So the bar ends fit neatly either side of the front wheel while folded.

_nc_ohc=4lDdB1hfCcIAX95OHMJ&_nc_ht=scontent-man2-1.jpg

And it folds like this.

_nc_ohc=N2mhgx15CPIAX8aKnAX&_nc_ht=scontent-man2-1.jpg

OP
OP
iSee

iSee

Regular
For ref @a.twiddler This is what I did.

As mentioned. It was an H-type, so had much higher bars originally.

But I fitted these low risers and then full size bar ends.

I forgot to mention earlier that my bars are wider than standard Brompton bars too. So the bar ends fit neatly either side of the front wheel while folded.

View attachment 635362

And it folds like this.

View attachment 635363
That's sorta what I'm looking for. You must have pushed the grips inward in order to attach the bar ends. By the way, in the first photo, is that a bicycle parking area?

Top Bottom