Bar/stem size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveyA

Über Member
I am wanting to purchase a shorter quill stem for my bike. There seem to be more available 25.4mm than 26mm in the length I am after (60mm). Can't really measure my bars accurately but I am thinking they will be 26mm. Surely a 25.4 would open up a smidge to allow the bar in?

Sharky

Guru
Drops or straight bars?
I've struggled in the past with incompatible quills/bars and it can be very tight getting the stem round the bends in the bars.
You also have to remove one of the brakes and bar tape and the bars can become scratched.

Have you considered a quill converter to allow you to use the full range of ahead stems now available?

Good luck
Keith

OP
OP
DaveyA

DaveyA

Über Member
They are drop bars. I don't like the look of the quill converters to be honest.
I would have thought you could get away with putting 26mm bars into a 25.4 stem but I wouldn't try it the other way around, 25.4 bars into a 26mm stem. I could put up with a couple of scratches here or there, as long as they are tight
I might buy some cheapish digital calipers and measure the bar to be certain. They'll never come in wrong I suppose.
Cheers

OP
OP
DaveyA

DaveyA

Über Member
Yes that's the exact thing I am after. I am off to get a set of calipers to measure the bar first.
Thanks again.

OP
OP
DaveyA

DaveyA

Über Member
Is this what you are after -
http://www.velosolo.co.uk/zenithgc.html
They seem to have the size you want and I've bought stuff from VeloSolo in the past and not had a problem.

Cheers
Keith
Bought some calipers, measured the bars and they are 26mm. Ordered a stem from VeloSolo.
In the pursuit of comfort I am also considering some different brake levers. I will post in the Technical Knowhow section.
Cheers

Top Bottom