Barbags & Water Bottles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm after some thoughts.

I purchased the a side handle bar mount accessory to put my Ortlieb Ultimate 5 handlebar bag on, but the bag is rather bulky imo and seems to get in the way of steering, preventing full steering lock if I pull it as far forward on the mount as possible (to prevent as much twisting as possible for my bad back.

this is the side handle bar mount (ICE's own picture)

untitled.png

Does anyone here use it or something similar? If so what bag do you use?

I was considering this one (after saving up for it, that is... the strap comes off) which is narrower and longer.
ortlieb-velo-pocket-handlebar-bag.jpg

Also where does everyone put their water bottles? the mount points on the bike would put them in a difficult position for me to reach.

I had had various thoughts about using one of the Topeak bottle adaptors... I have used them in the past, successfully and could take one off my expedition bike. Would it mount OK on say the handle bar mount or even the helping handles?

this thing - it can easily be rotated to mount on vertical posts.

21996.jpg

thanks everyone.
SNSSO

I use the Topeak adapter to mount a bottle on my bent. That was before I discovered 2 blind rivnuts under the seat for a bottle cage! Good bit of kit.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Could you hang / fix a bladder behind the seat in lieu of a water bottle?
We have just been discussing that ourselves but the plan was to attach the crutches to the back of the seat as well and we are not sure how well both would work, plus I don't actually have a bladder and rucksack to modify to be able to do this in the first place.
It is something I need to work on!

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
I just use a carradice super C saddlepack for my trike, 8 litres and tough View attachment 81853
No bar mount required, attaches to the side of the seat.
In after something I can reach without having to turn though due to my back issues.
Do you have a picture of it attached? Because currently my ortlieb 5l bar bag is getting on the way of the wheels and mudguards on close to full lock, something I need for turning around carefully.. The turning circle isnt very good.

byegad

Legendary Member
You should be able to shuffle/slide/bodge the handlebar bag into a position where it clears the mudguard and steering handle. Don't know about your model but my 2007 QNT has adjustable handle bars so maybe a tweak on them along with careful adjustment of bag position will do the trick.

I know several people who use them without issues.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
has adjustable handle bars
good point. I had totally forgotten they were adjustable in every manner... oops! but it is the wheels that are catching the barbag not the handlebars... so that probably wont resolve the issue thinking about it. but it does resolve the slight reach issue I had...
still not worked out the water bottle issue though. Seems like the camelback on the back of the seat might be the best way to go, although my OH did suggest mounting the water bottle on the seat behind my shoulder for me to try putting my hand over my shoulder, but I think that will mount it too far away unless I mount it on an accessory bar and attach the bottle between the accessory bar and the seat... think this one is going to require some creative thinking....

I already need to move the parking brake. It is on the same side and the single brake lever and needless to say that doesn't work!

byegad

Legendary Member
I have my bottle cages mounted on the side bar of the seat and my hand drops to the bottle without thinking, I have one each side plus a spare cage mounted on the seat frame higher up for longer days out. I merely swap an empty bottle for the full one on that one as I can't reach it on the move.

The super c won't be suitable for your needs then. When I require an item from the bag I use it as an excuse to stop and get off.
My second flag broke last week. I now borderline dispise flags and conclude they are of limited use. If a driver is so blind or stupid enough not to see a recumbent on the road - chances are they will not see a flag either and would crash into me regardless.

Top Bottom