Barcelona To Blackpool route suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
After last year’s Amsterdam to Rome trip, and having only Two weeks not three this year I am thinking of Doing a B to B Barcelona to Blackpool (home) This may turn out to be a bit ambitious for the time available Distance according to Google (not including ferry) is 1100 miles ,though experience tells me that’s more likely to be 1200-1300 miles but at least i can get the train home in blighty should time have her way with my schedule

I am however Looking for route suggestions.

I believe there’s a canal into Boudreaux from Toulouse which i think would be a Good way to go.

Need ideas and info for Barcelona into France (especially the less mountaines route J ) possibly heading to Perpignan which looks like the best route from the Map anyway.

Sparkyman

andym

Über Member
I don't know if it's the best way to go (especially if time is limited) but the canal you're thinking of is the Canal du Midi (link goes to the google search results).

coddy

After last year’s Amsterdam to Rome trip, and having only Two weeks not three this year I am thinking of Doing a B to B Barcelona to Blackpool (home) This may turn out to be a bit ambitious for the time available Distance according to Google (not including ferry) is 1100 miles ,though experience tells me that’s more likely to be 1200-1300 miles but at least i can get the train home in blighty should time have her way with my schedule

I am however Looking for route suggestions.

I believe there’s a canal into Boudreaux from Toulouse which i think would be a Good way to go.

Need ideas and info for Barcelona into France (especially the less mountaines route J ) possibly heading to Perpignan which looks like the best route from the Map anyway.

Sparkyman

If you look on openroute maps there is a cycle route marked from the med coast north of Perpignan at Port-la-Nouvelle to the outskirts of Bordeaux via Toulouse. The canal du midi follows this route. Cicerone do a route book.

http://www.cicerone.co.uk/static.cfm/cid/163/content/cycling-the-canal-du-midi

I live up the road in Fleetwood and have looked at this route. Not done it yet though. Flying from Blackpool to Girona.

I was looking at taking the canal du mide route before veering off to the coast and picking up the coastal cycle path (EV1) east of arcachon. Next was the ferry from verdon sur mer to Royan, up through La Rochelle and then north to Roscoff. Overnight ferry to Plymouth and then a nice ride over the top of Dartmoor, over the Severn Bridge and up through the Welsh border region. Ferry over the Mersey and back to the Fylde Coast.

I mapped the route in detail but not sure where it is.

There is a road (N11) that runs parallel to the motorway (E15) into France. There is also a winding coastal road (N260) and a route that runs over the mountains in between. The easiest option looks to be the road that runs parallel with the motorway.

I've camped at pals on the coast a couple of times. Nice area.

If you wanted official cycle routes, there is a cycle route from north of Nantes that heads to Roscoff. (EV1 then V7 and V4)

OP
OP
sparkyman

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
Cheers for that :smile:

Canal la Garonne and then the Canal du Midi seem like a good choice and the N11 from Barcelona into France should give me a good start on this trip.

Though was thinking of catching ferry to Bournmouth/poole and staying with the B's Barcelona Bourdeaux Bournmouth Bath Bristol Birmingham Bolton & Blackpool would be cool to fit a bit of Brest in there too but might be a bit too much of a diversion or distraction :smile:

Sparkyman

hubbike

just done barca to portsmouth. here's my route. here's a blog post and here's some debate about chilliness.

I went over the mountains, as I like that kind of thing. but the canal du midi was a real highlight very nice indeed, so I'd second that recommendation. also the bit of france from Parthany, Thours and Airvault were nice...I found quite a long stetch of cyclepath there...

I know you said no hills but the Massif Central is supposed to be beautiful. As are the valleys on the east.

you may find this map useful too
http://www.af3v.org/CarteAF3V/carte-detaillee.html

if you are going out of barca by the coast there is a cyclepath most of the way. this is part of the soon-to-be-completed EuroVelo8route.

I think there are loads of great things to see in france. really one needs time to dawdle along getting lost on little roads. 2 weeks might be pushing it. why not do the uk section by train?

OP
OP
sparkyman

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
Cheers for the info Hubbike :smile: You a propper Cyclist cycling that in winter.

With the ferrys do you have to book or can you not kust turn up? as that would make time less critcal on the trip.

Sparkyman

hubbike

i didn't bother to book as I thought as it was winter it wasn't likely to be overcrowded. however there is often a discount for booking online.

look at LD lines website usually it is 28quid single 35 for a return. might be worth booking from the point of view of having bike space.

OP
OP
sparkyman

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
It#s a great route out, down La Ramblas and then along the beaches, you can go right through to Badalona, 95% traffic free.

Is it better to stay with the cast road out of Spain ? or go straight accross between Figures & LE Boulou following the N11 ?

Sparkyman

hubbike

Depends what you are after. I havn't ridden either, but I imagine the coast road will be a little longer but with a cycle path some of the way, and beautiful coastal villages and scenery. The N11 runs parralel with the A7 a busy toll motorway so might be fairly low traffic, it looks like it has fairly wide shoulders on google maps "streetview", but possibly hillier if that is a problem although I doubt the coast road is pancake flat. Scenery wise, this isn't the most exciting part of the Pyrenees, a few large rolling green hills maybe? some impressive concrete motorway overpasses. if that turns you on.

I have been to Figueres and it is worth visiting for the Dali museum...a very cool place.

MarkF

Guru
The N11 is v.busy north of Badalona, not much room either because to your right leg is a concrete raised retaining wall, after that, the Renfe railway line. It can be scary IMO. Of course, this is the coast, it's much better once you head north to Girona, if I was to do it again, I'd take the train from Badalona and miss out the coastal section.

OP
OP
sparkyman

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
Not affraid of a bit of climbing (croseed Switerland last year and a tour of scotland the year before) but the google sat veiw of the N11 did not look like it would be fun, I would rather a few extra miles if the coastal route is more pleasing and safe cycle lanes would be a plus ( a few roads in italy last year scared the heck out of me fast road and no hard shoulder= not fun)

Not sure about taking a train (at least untill the UK stretch) trains are more for time critical travel IMO

So looks like the coast road for me :smile:

That takes care of the Barcelona to Bourdeaux stretch And will have to hit the west coast as well (just so i can say i did the C2C in France :smile:
time to look at the Northwards section.

Picking up a few maps this weekend which should help :smile:

Sparkyman

Top Bottom