Barcelona

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I fancy taking my wife for a week end away in Barcelona when travelling will be safe again, hopefully before next summer.
We have never been to Barcelona and from what I understand, it is a fascinating city to visit, so, what are your recommendations ?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Yes.

It's alright. Been there a couple of times with work and it didn't make me want to return.

Zurich might be a safer bet. Nice and probably getting through Covid quicker.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I fancy taking my wife for a week end away in Barcelona when travelling will be safe again, hopefully before next summer.
We have never been to Barcelona and from what I understand, it is a fascinating city to visit, so, what are your recommendations ?
Fabulous city to visit imo.......just do it.
I have been 5 times.....3 for work. Twice with MrsD.
Las Ramblas is simply fascinating. On one occasion we knowingly/willingly paid silly money to sit in the middle of Las Ramblas with beers and just 'people watched' for an hour.
Lots of great tapas bars down the side streets.
Some brill architecture but if you want to get in you need to be up early.
The market is worth visiting.
A standard weekend cannot imo do it justice. Push the boat out for a long weekend.
I always stayed in the same hotel just off Ramblas. Decent hotel at a reasonable price..........if its of interest I will find the name for you.
JUST WATCH OUT FOR PICK POCKETS!!!

We've been a few times and really like it there, lots to see (definitely more than just the Sagrada Familia) and a cool vibe, especially away from the more touristy parts like La Rambla. If you've got time the half hour train journey and funicular or cable car trip to Monserrat is well worth it. It's worth having a siesta and going out late as away from the tourist places nothing gets busy 'till 10pm at the earliest.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I used to have Barcelona in my regular work rota, it was nice enough but never my favourite city to visit and I was glad that someone else took it over. I just found it far, far too busy in a tourism sense (it's heaving), and the public transport falls way behind many. The food was always fabulous however.

If it has to be Spain I prefer Granada, Seville and Madrid, but if I'm not restricted to Spain then my favourite places to visit (out of my work destinations) are Copenhagen, Porto or Lisbon.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I used to have Barcelona in my regular work rota, it was nice enough but never my favourite city to visit and I was glad that someone else took it over. I just found it far, far too busy in a tourism sense (it's heaving), and the public transport falls way behind many. The food was always fabulous however.

If it has to be Spain I prefer Granada, Seville and Madrid, but if I'm not restricted to Spain then my favourite places to visit (out of my work destinations) are Copenhagen, Porto or Lisbon.
Not to hijack this thread but out of interest, what is/was your job that took you there ?
My 'work' related visits revolved around meeting suppliers at the plastics exhibition.
@gavroche BTW.... I am pretty sure the place I stayed was the hotel Turin. Just 2 minutes walk from the Ramblas.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Barcelona is a stunning city. The partly built Sagrada Familia is amazing, and there's nearly twice as much built since I was last there. You could spend a whole weekend or more just visiting Gaudi buildings. The Pedrada flats are another highlight. Mostly they are lived in but they've kept one flat, decked out how a bourgeois family might have lived at the time. Another highlight is the superb aquarium on the seafront. The food is pretty awesome too. Couple of hints - try and stay in town, eg somewhere near the Ramblas. This means you can walk everywhere. Another hint is they eat out quite late, so if you were thinking of having a meal at say 7 or 8pm they have barely opened and most places still shut. When we were there we'd gone to bed earlyish on the night we arrived but were awakened by noise in the street - there was a big procession, fireworks and they were doing the huge human pyramid thing - about 8 people high - so we got up again to enjoy the spectacle. Dunno when they do this, but would be worth checking up

Must go back !

Dave7

Legendary Member
Barcelona is a stunning city. The partly built Sagrada Familia is amazing, and there's nearly twice as much built since I was last there. You could spend a whole weekend or more just visiting Gaudi buildings. The Pedrada flats are another highlight. Mostly they are lived in but they've kept one flat, decked out how a bourgeois family might have lived at the time. Another highlight is the superb aquarium on the seafront. The food is pretty awesome too. Couple of hints - try and stay in town, eg somewhere near the Ramblas. This means you can walk everywhere. Another hint is they eat out quite late, so if you were thinking of having a meal at say 7 or 8pm they have barely opened and most places still shut. When we were there we'd gone to bed earlyish on the night we arrived but were awakened by noise in the street - there was a big procession, fireworks and they were doing the huge human pyramid thing - about 8 people high - so we got up again to enjoy the spectacle. Dunno when they do this, but would be worth checking up

Must go back !
That reminds me of a funny (true) story.
Again with work, MrsD with me, I had driven from Switzerland to a place in the Basque area.........the place was Donastia SanSebastian (spelling ??).
Knackered, we had a drink and crashed out.
We we woken at midnight and the town was alive, buzzing. Like you we got dressed and joined in.
1st bar we went in they were handing round all these plates of food.
How kind, we thought, and tucked in.
It was weeks later that we learned that was tapas and we were supposed to have paid for it ^_^

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Not to hijack this thread but out of interest, what is/was your job that took you there ?

I work for a large US company in safety and security. So I go and do safety risk assessments of facilities, offices, and the hotels that our staff stay at to ensure they meet our company standards. I also go and investigate or support when there are serious incidents, so I'm travelling to my allocated cities all year round normally.
Not so much at the moment, sadly!

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
I stayed once in a very nice village outside Barcelona, but on the train line- easy ride into the city centre. "La Floresta", very nice little place, I recommend it if you don't want to stay in the city itself, it's got some nice views and walks.

Top Bottom