Barclays Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It is getting close to 2 years since it started and I wonder how it is running.

They are very popular. Busier then ever.
Some days, especially weekends and rush hours you are hard pressed to find any available bikes and have to wait for a returnee.
T

Julesh

Guru
Well over thirteen million journeys and 50 million km on them to date and also not a single serious injury (whereas on London general cycle accident statistics you would have expected about 25 serious injuries and one death by now)

It seems to be the case that taxi and bus drivers see a Boris bike, assume it's being ridden by an utter numpty who doesn't give a toss about the bike and give them lot of room when they pass.

<Robert Mark>"I'm convinced they're a major contribution to road safety"</Robert Mark>

womblechops

This week I renewed my annual membership and have used the bikes four times in two days. When it is sunny I'll use them for really short distances just because it is better than a crowded pavement.

I have just got back from taking one from Park Lane to St Pauls which even at the sedate speeds required only took about 15/20 mins. I agree that motorists (esp taxis) give me much more room on the Boris Bike than I would expect on my commuter.

Downsides are as noted above:
1. The bikes are heavy, but this seems necessary since they live outside and have to last. However I note that some of them seem to have gone two years or more now with not a hint of TLC. It is worth scanning the lines to ensure pumped tyres or signs of damage as some will steer themselves.

Has anyone out there aver pumped their tyres up on a Boris Bike?

2. The gearing is useless, but that's ok for a laid back ride. The problem for me is that I always seem to accidentally shift down when leaving the lights with that grip shifter.

3. Keys: I have had one key stop working and another where the chip fell out. I hope the third is tougher.

Top Bottom