Barclays Cycle Hire Bicycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
TFL have given me the chance to test ride the Barclays Cycle Hire bicycles that are soon to be released in London at the end of July.
img_0009.jpg

My first feeling when i got on it was strange but that was down to me normally cycling a carbon fibre racing bike with narrow handle bars. The cycle hire bicycles take on a more dutch look and feel, with a more up right seating position and wide handle bars.

Obviously it’s not the fastest bike I have ridden, and is rather heavy due to its frame type. The 3 gears provided are enough for London cycling and provide a comfortable cruising speed. The upright position puts you above general traffic and you have a great view of the road up ahead. Your body position is positive and due to the general slow speed and low effort, you’re cycling along with a smile on your face (at least I was).

Continue reading...

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Looks cool!

How come you got this chance?

BigSteev

You say there are signs on the bike which indicate which way round the brakes are. Am I correct in assuming that (annoyingly for me) they'll be set up so the rear brake is on the left hand side?

zimzum42

Legendary Member
BigSteev said:
You say there are signs on the bike which indicate which way round the brakes are. Am I correct in assuming that (annoyingly for me) they'll be set up so the rear brake is on the left hand side?
You mean the right way?

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
zimzum42 said:
Looks cool!

How come you got this chance?

It started off with someone at TFL seeing my videos on the cycle super highways. I've been doing some stuff with them about that. Then they offered me the chance to test this bike.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Looks like a very sensible bike for the job. Three (presumably hub) gears, automatic dynamo lights with standlights, comfy, upright position - and carrying capacity for a laptop bag.

I could see this replacing my Brompton for some journeys, probably enough of them to justify an annual subscription.

mac1

Aggravating bore magnet
riding one of these types of bikes in Brussels at the beginning of 2008 rekindled my interest in cycling. Good on Boris for pushing ahead with the idea.

kevcampbell

riding one of these types of bikes in Brussels at the beginning of 2008 rekindled my interest in cycling. Good on Boris for pushing ahead with the idea.

looks like something someones nan would ride, but if nobody has a bike and wants to give cycling a go in london and it gets them interested in cycling and that person ends up buying a cycle, well i think it is great, so the design is not nice, but everything else about, like the idea and so on are good i guess

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
After my key eventually arrived (took over a week from registration), I got to try one on Wednesday.

Crikey, you'll get fit riding one! I found it quite hard work, and for that reason, maybe they won't encourage people to take cycling up. Also, on the example I tried, I thought the brakes were very poor, although this may be an isolated case.
There is a repair button on the stands to report damaged ones, but I didn't press it, in case the brakes weren't in fact faulty.

I don't know if the repair button immobilises the bike. If it does, I can imagine some mischievious persons coming along at closing time and pressing all the buttons on the stands just to be annoying.

That said, the column of numbers on the seat post is very useful when you want to remember how high you want it when you take out another one.

To be positive, they're great fun if you remember that they're meant to be ridden at a fairly sedate pace.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I don't know if the repair button immobilises the bike. If it does, I can imagine some mischievious persons coming along at closing time and pressing all the buttons on the stands just to be annoying.
It only does so if you press the fault button within 30 seconds of docking the bike, so someone pressing it later wouldn't do anything.

Top Bottom