Barclays Cycle Hire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NeilBoorman

WPP, the world’s biggest advertising agency, charges £3,625 to bike an advert around London for a week. If you use a Barclays bike every day for six months, you should be entitled to nearly £87,000. So here’s the plan: this time next year, every single Barclays human billboard should pedal down to head office in Canary Warf and invoice them for services rendered. The £1.7bn bill would wipe out a fair amount the profit they declared last year.

More of this here... http://www.viceland.com/wp/2010/08/the-truth-about-sponsorship/

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
At the same time, will every Arsenal fan be urged to go to Dubai, and every Team Astana fan to Kazhakstan? If not, why not?

Jezston

Über Member
I'd be interested in finding out what the exact shade of blue is and whether it is available in spray cans. A mass de-branding of the hire bike scheme would be welcome in my opinion - all the other countries managed without having to emblazon them with sponsorship of the wretched banks of all things.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Does it matter that they sponsored it ... I'm sure it does affect my subconscious slightly but on the whole I like to think I'm not swayed by advertising. I couldn't tell you who sponsored most things - even had to answer a questionnaire after doing the Sky Ride. I managed to guess Sky from the name and British Cycling having been handed a waterbottle at one of the kids bits - other than that not really aware of who else sponsored the event. And it didn't make me rush out and get a satellite either.

thomas

the tank engine
I'd be interested in finding out what the exact shade of blue is and whether it is available in spray cans. A mass de-branding of the hire bike scheme would be welcome in my opinion - all the other countries managed without having to emblazon them with sponsorship of the wretched banks of all things.

When a business puts £25 million into the scheme I am more than happy for their name to be displayed on it.

Jeez!! I don't expect to be paid to ride on a bus, taxi, plane, train, tube, etc....just because it displays an advert.

Perhaps I should be paid to watch television too!

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Just be happy that there are these bikes all over London!

You should do that cycling to Canary Wharf thing, they'll laugh you out of town like the fringe nutter you must be...

jimboalee

Problem 1.

Customers whose destination is within 30 minutes of the start point WILL rush to be within 30 minutes. If they puncture, they will have to pay for 1 hour.

The difference between £0 and £1 might not sound a lot. Jumping a red or cutting a RH turn MIGHT make the difference between nowt and a quid.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Customers whose destination is within 30 minutes of the start point WILL rush to be within 30 minutes. If they puncture, they will have to pay for 1 hour.
Nope: if your bike has any kind of fault (including a puncture), you put it in the nearest dock, press the fault button and pull out a replacement.

thomas

the tank engine
Problem 1.

The difference between £0 and £1 might not sound a lot. Jumping a red or cutting a RH turn MIGHT make the difference between nowt and a quid.

Also, willing to bet if you did get charged you could contact them and get the money back if you explained the situation. From what I can tell their attitude is to be as reasonable as possible. Obviously, if they are not then people will stop using the scheme, etc.

jay clock

Massive member
I just noticed you are new this forum. Please feel free to post some positive contributions to the world of cycling. And tell us about your cycling life.....

Defy78

Obvisoulsly Barclays are throwing a bit of money at the scheme and using it to there advantage with the emblams on the bikes. Is this really worse than any other sponsorship deal out there, should we scrap the Barclay's Premier League? Or even better, whoever wins the cup should pull the Barclays tassles of the cup and eat them as a protest???

I find it just as unscrupulous that Boorman has come on here peddling (pardon the pun) the story he wrote, or is it just a coincidence that the story linked was written by Neil Boorman???

Just read ianrauk's post, yes - agenda indeed, advertising his story about advertising :hello:

Top Bottom