Bargain of the year!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gds58

Über Member
Was looking for a nice lightweight bike for the wife and picked this up the other day from ebay. I don't think that the guy quite knew exactly what he had. It's a Giant SCR 3.0 with an ally mainframe and carbon forks. Tiagra gearing throughout and a Truvativ triple chainset up front. The best bit though is the wheels which are Mavic Aksium Race wheels with the better straight pull bladed spokes and fitted with Michelin Pro Race 3's. The bike was like new and the guy couldn't remember if he'd ridden it or not!!

Nobody else bid on it (he really didn't do it justice in the ad') and I got it for £270!! All I've changed is the big ring which was a 52 and possibly wouldn't have got much use so I've put a Stronglight Dural 47t on instead.

The wife can't believe how light it is and it should transform her riding experience totally. A right proper bargain I reckon.

Attachments

• Helens Bike.jpg
    Helens Bike.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 321

Zoiders

Bar ends and a cheap Profile Century bar and she could TT on that.

Ian 74

Bargain indeed. My first road bike was an SCR 3.0 I went full carbon so gave it to the wife to try and get her into cycling. It worked a treat and she loves it. I rode on it again this year in mull, I had forgotten what a good bike it.
thumbsup.png

Jezston

Über Member
£270 for a full Tiagra from a guy who didn't know what he was selling?

Sure you haven't just bought someone else's bike?
ohmy.gif

OP
OP
gds58

gds58

Über Member
£270 for a full Tiagra from a guy who didn't know what he was selling?

Sure you haven't just bought someone else's bike?
ohmy.gif

If you're implying that it might be stolen then you're way off line mate. Trust me I checked - It's my job!!! (work it out for yourself)

The guy had the bike bought for him by his son to use when his grand-kids came to stay but it just didn't happen and he never used it so he thought it was best to get rid of it. Trust me, frame No. and description checked and it was 'No Trace' so I'm happy and I'm guessing 'you're jealous' !!!

OP
OP
gds58

gds58

Über Member
Easy now, clearly the same thought occurred to you!

Good to hear it's legit.

I just like to be sure, but it just shows that there are some bargains out there to be had if you can spend the time looking. The guy hadn't described it very well at all and because it was bought for him he didn't realise that it had such nice wheels etc as an upgrade so he didn't even mention these. I could tell from the photos that it was better than it's description and this was borne out when I went to collect it. The guy was so nice that he even said to me 'if it's not as good as you were hoping then you don't have to have it' Clearly this wasn't a problem!!!

I must admit to being a bit of an ebay addict but every now and then it pays off!!

Graham

Moodyman

Legendary Member
That is a steal.:tongue:

Gotta admit, I did think like Jezza when I saw the opening post. Glad for you GDS.

Bargains can be had when you have knowledge and the seller doesn't.

OP
OP
gds58

gds58

Über Member
Hi GDS, I seen a couple of major bargains on ebay 'buy it now's' i never bid on just in case......How you check the frame number out - @ work?

If the seller is genuine then they shouldn't have any issues with giving you the frame number in advance and you can get it checked with your local Police station. There's limited information that can be given out but they should be able to tell you if it's not showing as being stolen. It's never a definitive answer as a lot of people don't know the frame numbers of their bikes so they obviously can't give this to the police if it gets stolen. If you are in any doubt about a bikes history then I think that you just have to have plenty of contact with the seller and just get a 'feel' for them. To be honest most sellers are genuine people and if you are collecting the item personally then you can check it out more then. If you then find that you are not happy with it, walk away. If the seller is dodgy then they are hardly likely to complain!!

Jon Cycles 82

Regular
Great thanks for the reply. I bet its surprising how many people shell out £££ and don't even have a photo or note of the frame numb....unless on a receipt from an original purchase. Its the first thing I do with new wheels, learnt the hard way.... Great bargain by the way!

Top Bottom