Bargain Pints

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not quite cycling specific, but I think there's a natural, er, synergy, between bike riding and pubs, as a few folk who came on my rides of old will appreciate.

Spoons is selling quality real ale at 99p a pint until Wednesday so that they don't have to pour it away.

One I know (don't know if this is across them all) is inviting folk to bring in 2 and 4 pint milk bottles for takeaway, also at 99p a pint.

Jaipur for 99p anyone? A few years ago I saw it going for a fiver.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
Spoons is selling quality real ale at 99p a pint until Wednesday so that they don't have to pour it away.

One I know (don't know if this is across them all) is inviting folk to bring in 2 and 4 pint milk bottles for takeaway, also at 99p a pint.

Jaipur for 99p anyone? A few years ago I saw it going for a fiver.
I hope that they lose as much money as possible, though I sympathise for those who are going to lose their jobs. I won't be stepping foot in a Wotherspoons, even if they paid me.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I hope that they lose as much money as possible, though I sympathise for those who are going to lose their jobs. I won't be stepping foot in a Wotherspoons, even if they paid me.
Each to their own.
An alternative view from the guardian.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...nforced-my-wetherspoons-run-in-says-otherwise
Scottish pubs are of course renowned for the historic morality of their brewers and the range and quality of their real ales proffered to a discerning clientele.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Each to their own.
An alternative view from the guardian.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...nforced-my-wetherspoons-run-in-says-otherwise
Scottish pubs are of course renowned for the historic morality of their brewers and the range and quality of their real ales proffered to a discerning clientele.
I used to enjoy a cheap beer and lunch. And I used to truly admire their care for old, landmark buildings that would otherwise crumble.
But then I got to know a member of their staff, and I couldn't reasonably be a patron; they really are not a good employer. Then they started sending political mailshots, exempt from political publication rules, incredibly misleading... I wasn't aware there was a covid reason to avoid them - but I wouldn't be surprised. I don't find the business particularly moral.

The beer they stock is generally good, and the food is good value for money.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blue Hills
I don't share the bosses views on the B issue.
As for employer issues, might be an idea to look at the wider sector.
(in my younger days I had dealings with various London 5 star hotels, including the Ritz - who I told to go take a leap - and similar to a major London cinema - and I could tell you a thing or two about a certain London pharmacy chain of old who I had the misfortune to work for - and told them as well what I thought of their bullshit, scheming and hypocrisy)
There isn't a covid reason to avoid them more than any other enclosed space - I think maybe you read the piece too quickly - note that the writer said she went every day. I went in that one a few times just after it had opened (so soon after the wifi wasn't quite sorted) - on a bike camping trip to Thanet. They were very accommodating to a cyclist.

edit - by mailshots, I assume you mean stuff in the pub, not email.
I have seen and read some of the pub stuff - don't agree with it, but some quoted Tony Benn on the issue (who I am/was an admirer of) and I have no reason to think that he was misquoted.

gaijintendo

Veteran
I don't share the bosses views on the B issue.
As for employer issues, might be an idea to look at the wider sector.
(in my younger days I had dealings with various London 5 star hotels, including the Ritz - who I told to go take a leap - and similar to a major London cinema - and I could tell you a thing or two about a certain London pharmacy chain of old who I had the misfortune to work for - and told them as well what I thought of their bullshit, scheming and hypocrisy)
There isn't a covid reason to avoid them more than any other enclosed space - I think maybe you read the piece too quickly - note that the writer said she went every day. I went in that one a few times just after it had opened (so soon after the wifi wasn't quite sorted) - on a bike camping trip to Thanet. They were very accommodating to a cyclist.
Sorry, I did read it, but I thought you shared it as a rebuff to some current theme. I won't be nipping in, but I understand why others do, politics aside. I'm blessed to be able to get my scampi and chips elsewhere.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blue Hills
I have been told that my post has been moved to a section called bargain pints, a cellar I was previously totally unaware of.

Pedal on.

sod all cycling bargains for the last 6 months under this god forsaken hell.

Luckily I have plenty of bike bit stocks.

But have never stockpiled beer.

while this hell continues, fark all your gods, I will carry my beer with me.

I avoid drinking at home.

Last edited:

gaijintendo

Veteran
Lockdown has brought me to an unusual point in life. I don't, at present, want to go for a drink in the pub - but I'd love to have a drink with a friend. So I thought, what about grabbing a bottle carry out, and going for a walk/drink.
It that point I felt great empathy with those people who used to drink in a rhododendron thicket near my childhood home. I used to think they were bonkers.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Lockdown has brought me to an unusual point in life. I don't, at present, want to go for a drink in the pub - but I'd love to have a drink with a friend. So I thought, what about grabbing a bottle carry out, and going for a walk/drink.
It that point I felt great empathy with those people who used to drink in a rhododendron thicket near my childhood home. I used to think they were bonkers.
You might, or not, depending on your humour, enjoy this:
https://deserter.co.uk/2017/01/top-8-places-to-drink-in-public/

(the national theatre spot is tempting, though I haven't taken him up on his tip)

keithmac

Guru
They were queued outside the Weatherspoons near our work on Wednesday night, given the current situation that's no ideal.

Dieing for a cheap pint it seems..

OP
OP
Blue Hills
They were queued outside the Weatherspoons near our work on Wednesday night, given the current situation that's no ideal.

Dieing for a cheap pint it seems..
No queues outside the ones I went in and admirable distancing and other policies in place.
I wouldn't bother to queue for a pub anyway.
You may have noticed queues for all sorts of things in your wanderings.
Do you tell the folks they are going to die?

I think last time I was back there I was getting pints for £1.79, so 99p is quite a bargain. One annoying recent development (pre Covid) was the table ordering malarkey. You'd be stood at the bar waiting to be served, and the staff were glued to a screen, obsessing that they'd miss an order being done in its allotted time. Perhaps that's the future of pubs, and we'll all just have to get used to it, but can't get my head round to the idea.

My record so far is 5 consecutive visits, Tues-Sat, now that's dedication eh. Favourites are steaks and curries - they used to do mexican on Mondays, but knocked it on the head for some reason. They also stopped half chickens on Wednesdays, shame, nuggets are no substitute. Still great value though, must be said :okay:

keithmac

Guru
No queues outside the ones I went in and admirable distancing and other policies in place.
I wouldn't bother to queue for a pub anyway.
You may have noticed queues for all sorts of things in your wanderings.
Do you tell the folks they are going to die?

Was on my way home from work.

Left them all to it, seemed a bit ironic the night before lockdown to have that many people that close together.

Top Bottom