'Barlick Bash' - this Bank holiday weekend?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi all.

Those of you who expressed an interest in my proposed Malham ride may be interested in this one instead. (I've abandoned the idea of the Malham loop as a group ride for this year because I'm just so slow - you'd be hanging about all day. I might do it solo, but I'll suggest it again next year when I hope to be fitter and thus faster.)

I've taken the Malham route and cut 60 km out of it to make a much more manageable hilly 100 km forum ride. It's still very scenic (apart from a quick dash through Barrowford and Nelson!) and still has some challenging hills. We could have cafe stops at Gargrave and/or Coldwell Activity Centre if so desired.

I'm thinking about a start from Hebden Bridge at 09:00.

I know it is very short notice and the weather doesn't look great for the bank holiday weekend, but if anybody fancies it, post below.

The weather forecast currently looks best for Saturday Sunday, so that's the day of choice.

longers

Legendary Member
As one of the usual suspects I have to say sorry not for me Colin, busy Sat and Mon so want a rest sunday.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

longers said:
As one of the usual suspects I have to say sorry not for me Colin, busy Sat and Mon so want a rest sunday - hopefully playing with a "new to me" bike as well :biggrin:
You are not the only 'Usual Suspect' who can't make it - Alun PMd me this morning suggesting that I organise another ride, hence this thread. Then he PMd me again later to tell me that he can't make it because he is busy... Ho ho, he got me! :tongue:;)

PS Oh, enjoy the 'new' bike!

PaulB

Legendary Member
What day are you thinking of, Colin? I am interested but can't do Saturday at all. Sunday is okay but I'm doing a 5 miler in Rochdale on Monday.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

PaulB said:
What day are you thinking of, Colin? I am interested but can't do Saturday at all. Sunday is okay but I'm doing a 5 miler in Rochdale on Monday.
I had been thinking Saturday because the forecast looked better, but now the forecasters are saying that Sunday will be better so that would be fine by me.

It would be 09:00 from Hebden Bridge or we could meet up (as we discussed on that Malham thread) where the descent from Sutton Moor meets the A6068 at about 10:30-10:45.

Is anybody else interested in coming along?

Alun

Guru
PaulB said:

I think you've missed a zero off there Paul ;)

PaulB

Legendary Member
ColinJ said:
I had been thinking Saturday because the forecast looked better, but now the forecasters are saying that Sunday will be better so that would be fine by me.

It would be 09:00 from Hebden Bridge or we could meet up (as we discussed on that Malham thread) where the descent from Sutton Moor meets the A6068 at about 10:30-10:45.

Is anybody else interested in coming along?

Are you going out through Barnoldswick or coming back that way? If the original route is the one you're doing, then I'd be happy to meet where you suggested (if I can find it!)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

PaulB said:
Are you going out through Barnoldswick or coming back that way? If the original route is the one you're doing, then I'd be happy to meet where you suggested (if I can find it!)
Here's the route:

barlick-bash.jpg

Anti-clockwise from Hebden Bridge to Oxenhope, Haworth, Stanbury, Oakworth, Lane Ends (near Cowling), Elslack, Gargrave (cafe stop?), West Marton, northern fringes of Barnoldswick ('Barlick'), eastern flanks of Pendle Hill, Rough Lee, Barrowford, Nelson, Coldwell Activity Centre (cafe stop?), Thursden (BASTARD HILL!), Widdop, Slack, Hebden Bridge.

That's about 100 km. If you joined me at Lane Ends (10:45 ish) and came round to Coldwell, you'd be doing about 50 km with me. plus whatever else you needed to do from home.

Alternatively, you could ride up past the Herders (trying not to get knocked off your bike by a doddery old driver this time! ;)), drop down the steep hill on your right by the pine furniture dealer at Scar Top and meet me at the junction after Ponden Reservoir (10:15 ish). I'll be coming up the road from your right from Haworth. You'd do 63 km with me if you met me there.

goodspeed

Not for me this week Colin. I've been working 12hr shifts for the past 2 weeks so I'm pretty buggered! If i manage to finish early tomorrow and feel i might have enough energy for Sunday I'll meet you at Oxenhope church, but don't wait around.
Have a good ride if I don't see ya!:rolleyes:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

goodspeed said:
Not for me this week Colin. I've been working 12hr shifts for the past 2 weeks so I'm pretty buggered! If i manage to finish early tomorrow and feel i might have enough energy for Sunday I'll meet you at Oxenhope church, but don't wait around.
Have a good ride if I don't see ya!:biggrin:
Okay Martin. I should be coming down through Oxenhope at about 09:40 so I'll keep my eyes open for you. I'll be turning left at the mini-roundabout, dropping down to the station then climbing up towards Penistone Hill.

If I don't see you - have a good rest - sounds like you need one! :rolleyes:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Paul - which meeting place to your prefer - near Ponden reservoir or at Lane Ends near Cowling (see post above)?

My friend Bill will be coming along if he has fitted his new compact chainset, and if he feels well enough in the morning (he's had a bad cold).

PS Paul - I forgot to save your mobile number last time you rang me. I know that you have mine so could you please text "This is PaulB" to me so I've got your number in case of problems in the morning. Ta.

PaulB

Legendary Member
ColinJ said:
Paul - which meeting place to your prefer - near Ponden reservoir or at Lane Ends near Cowling (see post above)?

PS Paul - I forgot to save your mobile number last time you rang me. I know that you have mine so could you please text "This is PaulB" to me so I've got your number in case of problems in the morning. Ta.

I'll text you my number in the morning, Colin. Our Liam will definitely be coming this time. We'll meet you at Lane Ends or maybe further up nearer Lothersdale but either way we'll be somewhere on that road.

PS, what time do you reckon you'll be there?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

PaulB said:
I'll text you my number in the morning, Colin. Our Liam will definitely be coming this time. We'll meet you at Lane Ends or maybe further up nearer Lothersdale but either way we'll be somewhere on that road.

PS, what time do you reckon you'll be there?
Okay. I'm guessing 10:45-11:00 at Lane Ends since it is 30 km from here by that route and there are lots of hills to tackle (and as you know - I'm slow on hills!)

Lane Ends is the most obvious place to meet. Please note - I'm talking about the Lane Ends on the A6068 between Cowling and Cross Hills not Black Lane Ends (the one by the pub on the climb of that minor road up from Colne)!

I'm not really familiar with Lothersdale so I'll just be following my GPS track and wouldn't really know where I was up there! Mind you, I can see that it is a nicer ride for you to go up Lothersdale instead of the A6068. I think that there is enough detail on the map above for you to work out where I'm planning to go. Anyway, if I get to Lane Ends and you aren't there, I'll have to ring you to find out where you are!

Top Bottom