Barloworld

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
to pull the plug when this TdF finishes. Just when things seems to be on the up the latest 'positives' have set the sponsorship of the sport back again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith Oates said:
to pull the plug when this TdF finishes. Just when things seems to be on the up the latest 'positives' have set the sponsorship of the sport back again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tour of Britain a team down then?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Sad to see them withdrawing, but consequences such as riders losing their liveyhood will bring the wrath of the peleton down on those who continue to dope.

In the long term, it is peer pressure that will be the most effective weapon in the fight against doping, just as it was peer pressure that got people into it in the past.

yello

I think it's sadly inevitable. And equally sadly, perhaps one of the pressures that will play a part in ridding the sport of dope.

girofan

Smokin Joe said:
Sad to see them withdrawing, but consequences such as riders losing their liveyhood will bring the wrath of the peleton down on those who continue to dope.

In the long term, it is peer pressure that will be the most effective weapon in the fight against doping, just as it was peer pressure that got people into it in the past.

;):thumbsup:;):thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

doyler78

Saunier Duval have already said that they are unlikely to continue to sponsor their team after the doping of Ricco and the sacking of him and Piepoli. Would like more info on why Piepoli was sacked other than a bland statement that he breached the teams ethics code. If the team have a reason to sack him then I think they should be more transparent about why they are doing so.

Couldn't agree more with Smokin Joe. When riders start to speak up against fellow riders only then will we get to a point where doping becomes much less acceptable amongst the peleton (no matter what their public protestations to the contrary are).

yenrod

Keith Oates said:

No Keith,

I'd do the same if I was head of Barloworld or any org. in sponsorhsip with cycling...

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The test results from Piepolo's stage win have not come through yet. Maybe Saunier Duval know something we don't...

yenrod

Smokin Joe said:
The test results from Piepolo's stage win have not come through yet. Maybe Saunier Duval know something we don't...

Piepoli is guilty as sin...I'll stand by that on my honour and truth of my being.

Anyone who can look at his face upon crossing the line (when he won his stage) and see he's laughing bags - just like all the old pro's used to whne they won and were on something...!

I can see that a millenia away just by looking at him.

Said it once on the old c+ and was proved right and i'll be proved correct on this ! - and got heavily censored on it too!

doyler78

Yes I have to agree that he looked much too fresh when he went over line as did Cobo especially when you contrast that with Frank Schleck who looked like he went through the wringer. I guess their performance actually helped Schlek as it gave him a target which helped him to get the best out of himself on that climb which put him so close to yellow.

It just seems to be taking rather longer to get a result from his doping control test than has for the others so we can only guess that management knew something more than the rest of us do.

TVC

So why have Saunier Duval, Barloworld and all the other long standing sponsors been demanding Independent testing in their teams up to now? A bit of fingers crossed and eyes shut while the good results came in I suspect.

New sponsors will be found, but they will follow the model of Garmin and Columbia and ensure their riders are clean. If TdF get to choose who they invite next year the best move they can make is to only include teams with rigerous independant testing procedures.

The Velvet Curtain said:
So why have Saunier Duval, Barloworld and all the other long standing sponsors been demanding Independent testing in their teams up to now? A bit of fingers crossed and eyes shut while the good results came in I suspect.

New sponsors will be found, but they will follow the model of Garmin and Columbia and ensure their riders are clean. If TdF get to choose who they invite next year the best move they can make is to only include teams with rigerous independant testing procedures.[/quote]

It's an event in transition, but the real problem may be convincing sponsors that the progress towards a clean event is sustainable given that there will always be pharmacological advances which challenge the testers' ability to keep up.

Top Bottom