Barn find- identification help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukAs98

hi, just got hold of this bike. Can anyone give me any info about it please?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 242
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    237.2 KB · Views: 343
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    155.3 KB · Views: 247
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 230
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 238
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 244

Joffey

Big Dosser
I have no idea but that chain needs a drop of oil...

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Your first port of call is to look at the hub gear. Clean it off and it may have a year on it.

Next thing to look at is the shifter. Someone will find that interesting. It's not a trigger shifter or a quadrant shifter, so it looks odd with a hub gear at the back. Maybe the back wheel with the hub gear has replaced a derailleur or maybe it's something interesting. Or, if it or the back wheel has been added at a later date it may be a total red herring.

The frame fittings look derailleur like, and the back rim looks a bit fatter than the front, suggesting that maybe this wheel is perhaps a replacement, and was never cabled up for the hub gear to work.

More info on Fred Dean with dates (1958-late 60s), and some clues for deciphering frame numbers here: http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/builders/fred-dean-builders.html

Let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lukAs98

lukAs98

It does say Fred dean, yes.(sorry I thought I uploaded a photo of the decal). The frame had weld on gear shifter mounts so I am pretty sure the sturmey archer hub isn't original. So for that reason I'm not trusting the date. On the saddle and stem it says Dawes? Do Fred deans usually use Dawes parts?

Thanks

OP
OP
lukAs98

lukAs98

The more research I do on Fred deans the more I don't think this is one. The frame has some nice lug work and braze on fittings however all Fred deans seem to have a campagnolo dropout whereas this doesn't. Is it possible that this could just be a bike refurbished by Fred dean and that's why it's all labelled up as that? Anyway, thanks everyone for the help. I'll keep this thread up to date with my findings

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
That's a Dawes Headbadge. Look at this page http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/components/badges.html
On the seventh row is a headbadge like yours identified as Dawes 1960
If you search for "Fred Dean headbadge" you won't find a metal badge as such, just a transferred on picture.

OP
OP
lukAs98

lukAs98

Thanks for that info. That clarifies it's not a Fred dean unfortunately. I've found a Dawes exactly the same except mine has braze on shifter mounts....

OP
OP
lukAs98

lukAs98

Thanks for that info @skippy-ian , you have saved me a lot of hours of research!:-) any chance you know which model/s would have had a front and rear mech out of the ones you listed?

Top Bottom