Barrett's Oesophagus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I was just wondering if any of you have this condition, and if so, what do you do to reduce its symptoms?

Regards,

--- Victor.

matth411

Veteran
Barrett's sounds like a horrible thing to be dealing. Haven't got any information on it though. If you are/know somebody with facebook, there will probably be plenty of groups for sufferers, and family of sufferers. Personally, I have the opposite. The bottom part of my oesophagus does not relax. At all. So eating can be painful, but at the same time, after some treatment, I cannot be sick. Acid reflux is also an impossibility. Hope you can find some information that will help.

(Just flicked over to FB, and checked. https://www.facebook.com/BarrettsEsophagusSupportGroup )

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Yes, Been on Omeprazole for a few years, as when they found it they gave the figure as a 1/20 chance of it developing into something more serious. Latest research suggests that the figure is something like 1/10,000 chance. I don't have any symptoms at all (they only found it because they were doing a more general investigation), but the Omeprazole is to prevent any further change in the oesophagus lining.

Hi Victor

Unfortunately I have suffered from Barretts and a Haiatus Hernia for 15 years now. Have been on and off Omeprazole for 10 of those years and have to say the meds are very effective at keeping the acid at bay. That said I have cut back on them big time having altered my diet to try and reduce acid naturally which has been relatively successful. I don't want to come across as patronising as you have probably discovered this yourself; try and keep out of the drops as much as you can. I know this is difficult especially when racing or doing time trials. I chose to ignore the advice as I love cycling so much and have suffered as a consequence. Being in the drops puts enormous pressure on the diaphragm which in turn can intensify acid reflux etc. Mind you I am an old bloke now at 60 years so what can you expect. Hope this helps. If you need any more info let me know.
Best
Tony

cd365

Guru
I have suffered with acid reflux for years, I thought it was due to a stomach ulcer (was advised it was). A few years ago I was correctly diagnosed with a Hiatus Hernia, as above I have also been on and off Omeprazole since diagnosis. I found that changing my diet helped a lot.

cd365

Guru
At first I wrote it doesn't but after thinking for a few minutes it does, I can't eat or drink anything more than a bit of water before an early morning ride, if I do it finds its way back out.

Top Bottom