Barry Hoban 531 retro racer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCCD

Über Member
Bought from new and owned by me since 1984.
Hasn't been used for a long time so could do with a good fettle, but it could still be ridden away.
I'll try and get pics up tomorrow.

I think it's a 21 or 21.5 inch I'm 5'7" But it may suit someone 2 or 3 inches taller. It's a 22.5 inch frame.
As I'm moving I want it gone, so £100 for quick sale, no offers. Prefer collection before Monday 23rd March.

Pic to follow, but frame is black/white. Has original decals (what's left of them!)

Andy

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
pis please @DCCD

Can't believe that hasn't been snapped up, I am way too tall, although that frame looks larger than 21" judging by the head tube. Anyway, nice bike and worth fully restoring, send it to Mercian and you have a pristine steel bike for £250 all in. If those rear dropouts are horizontal forward facing, a very nice fixed gear is definitely worth considering.

GarethG

tempted, trying to work out if I can justify another bike. or more importantly when I would use a steel bike over an ali one.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
tempted, trying to work out if I can justify another bike. or more importantly when I would use a steel bike over an ali one.
@DCLane i might be able to pick up before and hold at mine for you or ???

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@biggs682 - that would help. I've been told not April but will be down there May/June. Could you hold it that long?

Despite being told "no more" I'm selling a few that are too big for me/too nice and need something for next winter. A summer project would be good.

OP
OP
D

DCCD

Über Member
Can't believe that hasn't been snapped up, I am way too tall, although that frame looks larger than 21" judging by the head tube. Anyway, nice bike and worth fully restoring, send it to Mercian and you have a pristine steel bike for £250 all in. If those rear dropouts are horizontal forward facing, a very nice fixed gear is definitely worth considering.
Hi,

Are you suggesting I can get this restored for £150? I'd def keep if that was the case. Do you have any more info...

OP
OP
D

DCCD

Über Member
If anyone can let me know what to measure, to get the exact frame size I can post the results
The geometry of this is actually way nicer than anything modern I've ridden. It probably is bigger than I have suggested as I remember the guy in the shop saying it was slightly oversize for me.
But it was the last one and I was desperate to get it at the time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom