Barry Hoban 531 retro racer

DCCD

Bought from new and owned by me since 1984.
Hasn't been used for a long time so could do with a good fettle, but it could still be ridden away.
I'll try and get pics up tomorrow.

I think it's a 21 or 21.5 inch I'm 5'7" But it may suit someone 2 or 3 inches taller. It's a 22.5 inch frame.
As I'm moving I want it gone, so £100 for quick sale, no offers. Prefer collection before Monday 23rd March.

Pic to follow, but frame is black/white. Has original decals (what's left of them!)

Andy

Last edited:

biggs682

Smile a mile bike provider
pis please @DCCD

Can't believe that hasn't been snapped up, I am way too tall, although that frame looks larger than 21" judging by the head tube. Anyway, nice bike and worth fully restoring, send it to Mercian and you have a pristine steel bike for £250 all in. If those rear dropouts are horizontal forward facing, a very nice fixed gear is definitely worth considering.

biggs682

Smile a mile bike provider
tempted, trying to work out if I can justify another bike. or more importantly when I would use a steel bike over an ali one.
@DCLane i might be able to pick up before and hold at mine for you or ???

raleighnut

Legendary Member
tempted, trying to work out if I can justify another bike. or more importantly when I would use a steel bike over an ali one.
It'd be as light and a lot more comfortable (less road buzz) why do you think so many of us ride old steelies, the frame alone would cost a grand nowadays (possibly more)

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@biggs682 - that would help. I've been told not April but will be down there May/June. Could you hold it that long?

Despite being told "no more" I'm selling a few that are too big for me/too nice and need something for next winter. A summer project would be good.

OP
D

DCCD

Can't believe that hasn't been snapped up, I am way too tall, although that frame looks larger than 21" judging by the head tube. Anyway, nice bike and worth fully restoring, send it to Mercian and you have a pristine steel bike for £250 all in. If those rear dropouts are horizontal forward facing, a very nice fixed gear is definitely worth considering.
Hi,

Are you suggesting I can get this restored for £150? I'd def keep if that was the case. Do you have any more info...

OP
D

DCCD

If anyone can let me know what to measure, to get the exact frame size I can post the results
The geometry of this is actually way nicer than anything modern I've ridden. It probably is bigger than I have suggested as I remember the guy in the shop saying it was slightly oversize for me.
But it was the last one and I was desperate to get it at the time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom