1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Base layer

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by chorlton, 3 Jun 2008.

1. chorlton

chorlton New Member

Through the winter and spring I have been wearing a long sleeve baselayer underneath my cycling jersey. Now that we are moving into summer do people generally just wear a cycling jersey or still wear a base layer under that as well?

2. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Huge Member

i wear a base layer, just keeps that chill away from chest when flying along, besides i cycle early mornings and late at nights due to shifts so comfort factor important.

3. Disgruntled Goat

Disgruntled Goat New Member

4. yello

yello Guru

I think you'll find both answers to your question.

Personally, I wear a sleeveless base layer under my shirt to take the sweat off of my body. I find it more comfortable than having sweat just sit there (in humid conditions) or - yuk - trickling down me!

But I am sure that there are many that opt for just the shirt.

I can recommend the T.ess base layer from LewisKit....

http://www.lewiskit.com/product_info.php?cPath=61&products_id=160

...not cheap but a superb bit of kit.

5. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

I wear one when it's chilly, but if i'm going to warm up in the first 10 minutes to pull my zip down then I won't bother.

I've just been out on a 15 miler in just bibs and a jersey and didn't feel the cold.

6. goo_mason

goo_mason Champion barbed-wire hurdler

I have built-in central heating and always wear just a cycling shirt, summer or winter. (That's finished off with shorts or bib longs, before anyone gets funny :smile:)

My internal heat is a boon in winter but in summer it's a nightmare as I sweat like Niagra Falls :biggrin:

7. OP
    OP
    chorlton

chorlton New Member

Thanks for the replys......will get myself a vest style base layer me thinks

8. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

wouldn't have liked to wear a base layer today! :smile:

9. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

been in just a ss top for months now, went and bought a tight fit light one a month ago, that deals with sweat, keeping it zipped tight keeps me dry, breathes/wicks very well, no idea how anyone can be in two layers