Base Layer

Base Layers are they worth investing in

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I have been cycling for many years now and never tried a base layer, not wanting to get a cheap one and be disappointed i would prefer to go for a better quality but are they worth buying or are they another item to languish in the kit draw.
Them who have tried one are they a yes , no or maybe

figbat

Slippery scientist
It’s a ‘yes’ from me. I almost always wear them, all year round. The only exception being if it’s really, REALLY hot. I have a selection of short and long sleeves and deploy them dependent on the planned activity and weather. They are compression-type tops; I’ll layer with additional, looser thermal types when it’s cold.

Example last night: I went out early evening - it had been a warm day but as the sun drops it can cool quickly. I wore a long-sleeved compression top under a short-sleeved jersey. It was a bit warm on early climbs but I can roll up the sleeves and unzip the jersey to help. Later on it was cooler and I was glad of the layer, especially on descents. If I’d gone out during the day I’d probably have worn a short-sleeved layer under a short-sleeved jersey.

In the past, when I was less well-timbered and it was a heatwave, I have gone out in just a base layer.

vickster

Legendary Member
Not for me, if it's warm enough for only one layer, I only wear one layer (other than the bits of my anatomy that always get two :whistle: )

I use a gilet over a jersey and arm warmers if it's a bit cool (I do seem to get cold arms cycling)

si_c

Guru
I usually wear a thin sleeveless baselayer during summer - even on the hottest days in the UK as I find they do help with moisture wicking especially on longer rides. Add to that on super hot days I can suffer from nipple chafing a bit as well once my jersey gets any salt dried into it and they mitigate against that somewhat. On spring/autumn days they also help with warmth too.

Edit: In winter I find a long sleeve merino wool base layer is my go to.

The tank-top type baselayers I have I got from aldi for about £4 each, they are fully synthetic (polyester/elastane) and work really well - and they don't tend to develop any smells or anything like that.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Ok. Are you using "base layers" to mean something other than the layer closest your skin of the usual lightweight traveller's three layer system? Have people been marketing something other than thin close-fitting shirts (in various fabrics including merino and technical weaves) as base layers?

After all, some layer has to be on the base!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
With the cool/unreliable UK weather, often a 'yes'. (A 'no' in those rare baking summer conditions!)

I have tried various baselayers over the years. Some have been too tight/loose, many too warm.

The one that has been absolutely great is an extremely lightweight long-sleeved base layer that I bought years ago from a bike shop in Leeds city centre. It is just thick enough to take the chill off an early morning start, but usually not so warm that I have to stop and remove it later. The sleeves are loose enough that I can easily roll them up or lower them, so acting like very convenient lightweight armwarmers. I roll them up for climbs, roll them down for chilly descents and adjust to suit conditions on the flatter parts of the ride.

PS I have some compression types and am not so keen on them. I can't roll the sleeves up and I don't find them comfortable.

BigMeatball

Sleeveless base layer when it's warm because I don't like the feeling of a cycling jersey on my sweaty back. Base layer makes things better.

Long-sleeved merino base layer when it's cold because I'd rather be sweaty and toasty than sweaty and cold. Extra points if the base layer is long enough to cover my junk.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Not for me, if it's warm enough for only one layer, I only wear one layer (other than the bits of my anatomy that always get two :whistle: )

I use a gilet over a jersey and arm warmers if it's a bit cool (I do seem to get cold arms cycling)
ATM if i am going for a spin that only needs one bottle i use the spare cage to carry an gilet in an empty bottle

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Yes.

I have a long-sleeved Rab base later I bought for hill walking, but has become the central part of my default riding kit (usually used on its own unless it's particularly chilly in which case I'll also wear a fleece).

The key selling point of proper base layers is that they breath a lot better; so reduce the extent to which you become a sweaty mess.. It still gets a bit damp but compared to a normal T-shirt it's night and day. I'm sure we've all at some point been caught out in the cold in sweaty clothing - not a pleasant or healthy experience.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
If cold, add a layer. It ain't rocket science.

Was down to freezing for my ride early yesterday, so wore themal bib tights, base layer, top and shoftshell jacket.
If went out now in afternoon sun, shorts and top would be sufficient.

The better question is how much to spend. I'm happy with cheapo decathlon baselayers, not a hint of Merino.

Top Bottom