Base Layer

Base Layers are they worth investing in

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Although I have several I think all but one or two were gifts at Christmas or birthdays. They’re a mix of Nike and Under Armour and apart from one small hole caused by an unplanned dismount they are all holding up very well. I’d say the Under Armours have done 4 or 5 years of constant use.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Shame they pollute the water with micro fibres every wash, isn't it?
Can't argue about microplastic polution. I do try to avoid it; my wardrobe is 99% natural fibres, but I've yet to find anything that matches man-made materials for sportswear.

In a few years when my polyester baselayer wears out, I'll probably look at natural alternatives (bamboo? seaweed? cupro?) but not Merino as it irritates my skin. Can't imagine bibs (etc) being made of anything other than lycra for years to come.

Anyway, what is this, Top Trumps Cycling Eco-credentials ?!

Kryton521

Über Member
Always. Especially with bib shorts/tights.
Thermal in winter thin and light through the summer month. Never gets, "Too hot!" in UK to go without.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
I use one all year round.On really hot days I have one of those string-vest types.I wear/wore this in Mallorca and it helps regulate temperature on long descents without over heating on the climbs!
I mainly have Decathlon(B-Twin) as I find they're no worse than my HH/Berghaus etc walking base-layers only cheaper.
I have an Aldi(Crane) Merino wool long sleeve that is also very good on colder Autumn/Winter days.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Have a look at Uniqlo's Heattech Ultra range of vests and LJs. They are very warm, very comfortable and about half the price of poncey "technical" stuff by Helly Hansen etc. Also, unlike merino, they aren't moth magnets.

BigMeatball

..."technical" stuff by Helly Hansen etc.

I have a Helly Hansen merino base layer, think I spent something like £40 for it. It is on the expensive side that's for sure but it's just so freaking good. I was planning on using it just for cycling but it has quickly become my go-to layer for every physical activity. I must have sweated on it and washed it a few dozen times and it's still as good as new.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ah... I had thought about trying merino but have had a lot of problems with moths in the past. I think I'll give it a miss!

I have a Helly Hansen merino base layer, think I spent something like £40 for it. It is on the expensive side that's for sure but it's just so freaking good. I was planning on using it just for cycling but it has quickly become my go-to layer for every physical activity. I must have sweated on it and washed it a few dozen times and it's still as good as new.
Alternatively then... buy merino but store it in moth-proof sealed plastic bags! :whistle:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Can't argue about microplastic polution. I do try to avoid it; my wardrobe is 99% natural fibres, but I've yet to find anything that matches man-made materials for sportswear.

In a few years when my polyester baselayer wears out, I'll probably look at natural alternatives (bamboo? seaweed? cupro?) but not Merino as it irritates my skin. Can't imagine bibs (etc) being made of anything other than lycra for years to come.

Anyway, what is this, Top Trumps Cycling Eco-credentials ?!
Bloody awful trying to navigate modern living with a conscience, isn't it?

Pretty much every action has some negative repercussion; leaving you only to limit the damage at best rather than negate it completely :sad:

Mark pallister

I always wear one
for summer the wiggle ones are fine
for winter I have a sportful one that was quite expensive but worth every penny

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Pretty much always.
Nike ones are pretty good.
For summer I have a dhb perforated/string vest type thing which works well to wick sweat without being too hot.

D

Deleted member 1258

Yes, mostly in winter, usually bamboo ones, very soft against the skin.

Top Bottom