Base layers (girls) - confusion!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

I am kitting myself out for spring/summer (well you've gotta keep hoping) and am after a couple of base layers. I'm new to buying sports clothing, so a bit clueless over what to look for - obviously I want a nice feminine baby pink or powder blue colour :rolleyes:

Something either sleeveless or v. short sleeved (need a smooth tan, no "cyclist" tan marks halfway up the arms)

Something with sleeves to wear underneath a long-sleeved jersey

Anyone got any recommendations? I'm not looking to spend a lot of money (as I've already done that :wacko:), had a glance at DHB but they don't seem to do women's.

Thank yooooooou!!

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I'm not an expert myself, but I have just been rummaging through Mrs TB's underwear drawer. She would seem to favour in order of most usefullness on both road and mtb year round;

1. Sleeveless, white, thin, synthetic thermal top that is used even on the hottest days. Helps to keep skin dry when she is 'glowing' (like a pig) and not chill on the downhills. (Campagnolo)

2. Synthetic, t-shirt cut with wind stopper front and shoulders. Used with a Buff for keeping drafts out of neck. (Gore)

3. Merino, long sleeve, zipped polo neck for when it is freezing and the ride very long. (Icebreaker)

jimboalee

Some ladies wear a short sleeve road jersey underneath a long sleeve road jersey.
Two short sleeve jersies in warmer weather.

The reason for this is they can carry all the little nik-naks they usually have in their handbag in the inside rear pockets; and PRK, moby, purse etc in the outside rear pockets.

OP
OP
Morrisette

Morrisette

tundragumski said:
dhb definitely do womens base layers - bought one for my girlfriend (yes, very romantic!) anyway, she liked it.

Nothing on Wiggle today??? Maybe they are under 'jerseys' or something, I'll have a look later.

Silly question alert!
Re Merino, I have heard this stuff mentioned - is it like normal wool? I mean obviously it's finer, but I can't stand ordinary wool next to my skin, it's way too itchy. Is it not too hot for summer (OK I know, but, a real summer!)?

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Proper merino wool is not itchy, but such is the demand at the moment that some of the 'better value' brands do seem to have had the wool 'cut' with a smattering of Herdwick, which some find a tad itchy. But the good stuff is perfect.

It does have a much wider usability temperature range than synthetic polypropylene, but is best when it's cold. However some people swear by the retro merino cycling tops in all conditions.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I read that merino also keeps you cool in hot weather. I've only got a long-sleeved top so haven't tried it in summer though.

yello

HelenD123 said:
I read that merino also keeps you cool in hot weather.

I've read that too but couldn't vouch for it on personal experience as I too only have long sleeve merino.

I have a sleeveless T.Ess baselayer (from LewisKIT) that I can recommend from personal experience but, sadly, the only women's ones they have are long sleeved.

e-rider

crappy member
You're correct - wiggle no longer have womens dhb baselayers - a few months ago they had several different ones for between £15 and £25, which seemed to be great value for money.

Must have sold out!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Personally, I don't like cycling gear - i don't think it's very foxy.

So I tend to wear normal gym/running tops - sleeveless tops from Nike, for example and then a long sleeved top over the top if it's nippy. Last year I toured for a month and at the very last minute chucked a little bolero style cardigan into my pannier and wore it solidly for a month. Not very technical but really useful!

minxgirl is the cutest cycling girl shop. I love it at the moment.

Top Bottom