Base Training or Weights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam Kennedy

I've got less than 60 seconds to post this so it might not make sense.

I don't know whether I should start base training, or keep doing weights, by far my biggest limiter last year was strength, so weights should help with that, however what if I start base, but then have to stop because of weather? My turbo is broken

amaferanga

Veteran
Your limiter is not strength provided you can walk up stairs. Ride your bike.

VamP

Banned
Weights won't do much for your cycling fitness. Cycling is an endurance sport, not a strength (more properly power) sport.

If you do go to gym instead of riding, do some bike riding, running and core work. If your desire is to improve your cycling that is. If you just want to look toned, that's a different matter.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I had a similar problem when on fast club runs , when on hills my stamina was ok but my legs did not have real power so one of the club members suggested i start doing hill intervals and sprinting for street furniture to improve my leg strength.
After a while of doing this i can climb some hills i used to use the small chainring for on the big ring and now the limiting factor is becoming my cardio fitness and the pies i ate ^_^

My favorite quote is from the cannibal " don`t buy upgrades ride upgrades"

Holy Warrior

A little earlier in the year I panicked about a few tough rides that i've put my name down for this year. I jumped in a gym and started doing leg work and interval training on a static bike. I should have just stayed on the static for the extra time that I wasted doing leg work. Until the weather is better for riding.

I've been a little unwell this past week and as such i've had time to think about what I was doing, and what I want (from life really). I've decided to do a weights training routine but that's got nothing to do with cycling. I'm talking aesthetics because i'm a skinny steward of a bar. Getting a bigger upperbody will of course hamper my cycling but i'm not a pro and I won't be getting too big for for my goals which at max would be century riding at a decent pace - 15/18 mph.

What I do know, though, is that to couple cycling with gym work my calorie intake is going to be immense. Not exactly Phelps but still gluttonous. But I realise that and I know that if I don't eat the food then the gym work is pointless. If I do eat the food my cycling will get a little harder. I can deal with that.

What you should stick at is core work. I'm a massive fan of a strong core, which cannot be improved just by riding, but is needed.

Have found the gym in the past to be a real help but only really the cardiovascular stuff ie, the bike itself! I found that a very concentrated session of 10-15 miles on the bike at a set resistance really helped my power on the road because it was a short intense burn, using between 550 and 750 calories in around 45 minutes.

I never really bothered with weights and if I did any it was small amounts of low weight repetitions. I'm already quite broad and my battle is keeping the weight down. I've come in recent months down from 14 and a half stone to just under 14 and want to get to 12 and a half and stay there. Weight training, serious weight training will only add weight and though it may be toned muscle weight being added, I don't really want it period.

This year I have a winter bike and I haven't bothered with the gym due to the expense. I don't really get on with turbos, have thought about rollers but doubt I'll bother so I get out as often as possible and as others have said, being on the road on the bike is the best training you'll get (aside core work which is worth doing but doesn't require weights or a gym). The muscles you develop are those you are using and those you are going to use.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
Sam,
I'd say your priority is base mileage and then weights. They are not mutually exclusive and IMHO weights have a part to play but not at the expense of mileage. Try and build the bike in to your life. I ride in to the toon at least 3 days a week all year round and manage odd weekend longer runs 60-100 miles in your area. So if you miss an odd weekend you don't feel it if you have the daily mileage in your legs.

Top Bottom