Baselayers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

I have one of them as well, but stopped using it due to the same problem.

This year I shall be buying an Endura Merino baselayer.

MajorMantra

I have that exact base layer and I find it ok, at least at the moment. I think it wicks sweat and dries reasonably well actually though there may well be better base layers out there.

What are you wearing it with?

Matthew

yello

It claims to be "fast wicking"... so it shouldn't be a problem. However, if your experience is that it's not wicking then either you're wearing something over it that can't breathe OR the baselayer doesn't do as it claims.

Yes, it's a bad idea to wear something in winter that allows sweat to chill on you.

nimchimpsky82

Über Member
phil_hg_uk said:
I have this one I can recommend it, very comfy and still nice even when I get all sweaty.

Another thumbs up for this BL. So far I've been wearing it with my bibshorts under it, and with a S/S jersey on top. Comfy, just about warm enough this time of year unless I ride by the sea, and it looks good too. Oh, and what they about merino staying relatively fresh is true: you don't need to wash it very often.

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
To be honest It's usually that then a long sleeve jersey and if it's chilly a lightweight jacket.
The base layer is supposed to wick sweat upto the next layer but when it's really cold you can't really let it breath cause by the time I am needing the warmth going fast I have already built up most of my sweatyness in the 1st 20 mins of my commute.

It would be fine if my commute was the other way round so I may just stick to what I did last year and just go vest, long sleeve jersey and thickish jacket.

I think because the base layer is so tight this is where it struggles to breath.

yello

Downward said:
a long sleeve jersey

What's the jersey made of?

I think because the base layer is so tight this is where it struggles to breath.

Quite the opposite really. The closer to the skin, the more effective it should be.

Are you overdressing perhaps? In my experience, it's best to set off feeling slightly cold. You'll soon warm up once the blood gets flowing.

You're right in that a baselayer should wick up to the next layer, but if that outer layer doesn't breath then you're still going to get the 'boil-in-the-bag' effect.

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
yello said:
What's the jersey made of?

Quite the opposite really. The closer to the skin, the more effective it should be.

Are you overdressing perhaps? In my experience, it's best to set off feeling slightly cold. You'll soon warm up once the blood gets flowing.

You're right in that a baselayer should wick up to the next layer, but if that outer layer doesn't breath then you're still going to get the 'boil-in-the-bag' effect.

Nah definitely not - Really felt the cold setting out and once I have a sweat on and then start going downhill/flat this is where I am adding on another layer.

My Jersey is a bicycleline 100% polyester which looks thick but isn't very warm.

Not sure if the jacket is the problem - Its a polaris aqualite it's supposed to be breathable but when you wear it against your skin your arms are soaked with sweat

PpPete

Legendary Member
This is the THE base layer. LIFA has been around for 20+ years and keeps on getting better. I use the latest version mostly, but when it's in the wash it's no problem to get the old one out, although it's a bit scratchy now.

Top Bottom