Basic bullet-point tips for new commuter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Don't know what route you are taking but its probably worth going a bit futher if you can avoid the main road (A38/Whiteladies/A37 etc) which will seem very daunting at first.

And don't forget you can always walk across junctions if you prefer not to turn right on your bike.

Get hold of the Bristol Cycle Map (from library's and bike shops), its got the bike shops marked on should something go wrong with the bike. And it gives some suggested routes - but best to devise your own.

Don't know what time she will be doing it ... but if you can avoid school runs and the main commuting time then so much the better.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
get a helmet-mounted flashing front light. you can look at people waiting to emerge from junctions/roundabouts and it's amazing how many people that were obviously going to pull out in front of you wait for you to go past. in light conditions, give a hard stare through shades.

Maz

Guru
gambatte said:
Don't 'undertake' wagons at junctions!!
Ahhh, wagon. I've been away from Sheffield too long!
I'd be too nesh to use it round here in case someone thought I was from the Wild West!

catwoman

All the above (except the snot stuff - us ladies don't do things like that) plus look out for unpredictable pedestrians. Above all enjoy it. :biggrin:
Also, look out for flying snot coming from male riders.....

Tetedelacourse

catwoman said:
us ladies don't do things like that

Really?:biggrin:

Let me guess; a chanel-scented silk handkerchief which when unfurled plays Gilbert and Sullivan to cover up any unintentional auditory vulgarity from the beak region?:wacko:

That Radcliffe one's done worse!

catwoman

Tetedelacourse said:
Really?:biggrin:

Let me guess; a chanel-scented silk handkerchief which when unfurled plays Gilbert and Sullivan to cover up any unintentional auditory vulgarity from the beak region?:wacko:

That Radcliffe one's done worse!

I can assure you my good man there is no vulgarity about me in the beak region or elsewhere. Unintentional or otherwise. I'm a picture of delicate fragrant femininity. (and if you believe that you'll believe anything)
Can't stand snotters though. On bikes or otherwise. revolting habit that can be avoided. :blush:

Tetedelacourse

Maz said:
Catwoman coughs up fur balls.

:biggrin::laugh::wacko:

Abitrary

I reckon the single most important thing is to actively seek eye-contact with stationary drivers who could turn in front of you.

For some reason if you don't, they don't see you

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
catwoman said:
I can assure you my good man there is no vulgarity about me in the beak region or elsewhere. Unintentional or otherwise. I'm a picture of delicate fragrant femininity. (and if you believe that you'll believe anything)
Can't stand snotters though. On bikes or otherwise. revolting habit that can be avoided. :biggrin:

Agreed:sad:;)

catwoman said:
Can't stand snotters though. On bikes or otherwise. revolting habit that can be avoided. ;)

I always carry a handkerchief, on or off the bike. Once on my commute, I fished it out of the back pocket of my jersey and accidentally dropped it on the chain. Took me a good half hour to untangle it from the derailleur jockey wheels, and I think I had to dismantle the derailleur to get back on the road.
So my bullet point is ... Don't drop your hanky onto your chain.

Rhythm Thief said:
I always carry a handkerchief, on or off the bike. Once on my commute, I fished it out of the back pocket of my jersey and accidentally dropped it on the chain. Took me a good half hour to untangle it from the derailleur jockey wheels, and I think I had to dismantle the derailleur to get back on the road.
So my bullet point is ... Don't drop your hanky onto your chain.

Fantastic opening line to a chorus RT...to paraphrase:

"Don't drop your hanky on your chain Mrs Worthington!"

JamesAC

Acknowledge good driving when it happens: ie a driver has not driven straight at you on the wrong side of the road, but waited a few seconds for you to get past. Give a cheery wave! :smile:

Challenge bad driving, if you get a chance, politely. (I'm always polite!!;)). Eg, at the traffic lights you catch up with a driver who has just cut you up. Politely engage him (or her) in conversation, and mildly point out that as a cyclist you need a bit of space, and you really appreciate courteous and considerate drivers. Then rip the wing mirror from the car, jump the red light and ride off along the pavement

Top Bottom