Basic Wheelset Help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

noddy63

Hi,been looking for a new drop-bar bike, seen a few but unless you spend quite a bit you only seem to get the bottom end wheelset. Don't know that much about them but i was wondering does anyone have any experience of the shimano rs 100

Joffey

Big Dosser
I've got a Shimano RS170 disc wheel set that I use as my 'winter' wheels (still riding them cos of the wind) and they have been bullet proof. They don't feel particularly sluggish but feel slower than my Zipps.

The RS100 should be fine to get you going then maybe upgrade in a year or so if you feel the need.

Heigue'r

Veteran
Id just be inclined to ride the bike with the set it comes with until they wear out or fall apart,which may never happen depending on what kind of riding and mileage you do.The wheels that come with the bike should be more than capable of getting you going.

OP
OP
N

noddy63

Hi, many thanks for your reply, good to hear as mainly going to use a bike for fitness/social rides out. A couple of bikes I've seen have decent spec(full 105) but didn't know much about wheels. Know anything about Dolan bikes ?

OP
OP
N

noddy63

Id just be inclined to ride the bike with the set it comes with until they wear out or fall apart,which may never happen depending on what kind of riding and mileage you do.The wheels that come with the bike should be more than capable of getting you going.
Thanks for your reply. Not doing any really serious riding, mainly fitness and days out (when we're allowed) ☹️

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for your reply. Not doing any really serious riding, mainly fitness and days out (when we're allowed) ☹
You’re allowed out to cycle now (assuming you’re in the UK)

No point thinking about a wheel upgrade on a bike you’ve not even bought yet :smile:
You said you’re considering a Dolan, ask if you upgrade the wheels pre delivery

OP
OP
N

noddy63

Hi, thanks I think you're probably correct, not got a bike yet, and Dolan offer quite a few upgrades but having had a few messages the standard should be fine for now, are Dolan a decent cycle, don't know much about them but they ok ?

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi, thanks I think you're probably correct, not got a bike yet, and Dolan offer quite a few upgrades but having had a few messages the standard should be fine for now, are Dolan a decent cycle, don't know much about them but they ok ?
Yes, their bikes and service have a very good reputation, good value for money. Get their advice on sizing (assuming you’re not local to them and / or they’re shut)

OP
OP
N

noddy63

Thanks, been in touch and they seem very helpful, and offer a good service, but always good to hear about them from someone else who has come across them before.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks, been in touch and they seem very helpful, and offer a good service, but always good to hear about them from someone else who has come across them before.
Yes they’re well regarded on the forum. British company too (although obviously the frame and parts are likely made in Far East)

OP
OP
N

noddy63

Good to know,it's been a while since i've looked at the cycle scene a things have changed a lot. So many styles to choose from, i have a hybrid which is getting on (like myself) which i think will be winter/daily ride, but i fancy a road/gravel bike, i'm looking at around £1000, as i said nothing to serious mainly fitness/ social rides. Anyone have any thoughts ?

Gunk

Guru

I agree, unless you looking to shave seconds off your times, I’d stick with what’s on the bike, IMO the best upgrade is a decent set of tyres and just keep the bearings well serviced.

Top Bottom