Basil plants from the supermarket

Abitrary

New Member
Why is they are always so fresh and verdant in the shop? You take care of them from the moment of purchase, let them sit in the passenger seat of the car on the way home, tell them imaginary stories about your Dad being a Mod in the 1960s beating up Rockers on the beach in Brighton.

Cradle it like some herby holy ark, from car to kitchen. But the minute you set it down on the kitchen sink window sill...

The leaves wilt, then turn black, then fall off, all in the space of a minute, you stare and cry, and you've got nothing to put on your bizgetty bolognaise.

Why? WHY?
 

col

Veteran
One of lifes mysteries;)Or not as well looked after by the shop as you thought :smile:
 
Oddly enough, I've found the same thing with all supermarket "growing" herbs. The only one I've ever had that thrived for weeks and weeks was the one I bought for my lorry when I had a job which involved living in the cab for a week at a time. I kept it on the dashboard and used it to cook with and it was quite happy. But when the company went bust and I cleared out my cab and took the plant home, within two days it had died.:smile:
 
OP
A

Abitrary

New Member
Rhythm Thief said:
Oddly enough, I've found the same thing with all supermarket "growing" herbs. The only one I've ever had that thrived for weeks and weeks was the one I bought for my lorry when I had a job which involved living in the cab for a week at a time. I kept it on the dashboard and used it to cook with and it was quite happy. But when the company went bust and I cleared out my cab and took the plant home, within two days it had died.:smile:
Do you think they need human company?
 
I too was unsuccessful in keeping my herbs alive for more than a day after purchase!
So now, when I need a few leaves of Basil, mint, rosemary, thyme etc. I just pluck a few leaves from the plant and put them in my pocket :smile:, and try not to look too guilty when I'm at the check-out! :evil:
 
Dayvo said:
I too was unsuccessful in keeping my herbs alive for more than a day after purchase!
So now, when I need a few leaves of Basil, mint, rosemary, thyme etc. I just pluck a few leaves from the plant and put them in my pocket :evil:, and try not to look too guilty when I'm at the check-out! :tongue:
Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh you naughty, naughty person. It's you that's doing it when I'm looking at suspiciously thin leaved fresh herbs in the supermarket! :smile:
 

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Location
S of Kendal
tell them imaginary stories about your Dad being a Mod in the 1960s beating up Rockers on the beach in Brighton.
Play them rock and roll and show them pictures of old British motorcycles.

Trying to impress anything with stories of being a 'mod' is doomed to failure. What on earth would they find inspiring about a bunch of effeminate, ponsey dressed clothes models riding machines designed to be convenient for Italian women in skirts.

Your Basil is dying of shame. You're getting it confused with coriander or dill.
 

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I have the same problem with Coriander, but never Basil, well at least during the warmer months.
I buy 1 plant in spring and with a bit of outdoor TLC it lasts all summer and well into Autumn if warm enough.
 

buddha

Veteran
This last week, all of my herbs died. Despite being in a warm, south facing conservatory.
Although I did notice a pungent aroma in the vicinity. So maybe the cat peed on themxx(
 

Pete

Guest
We have been keeping a succession of basil plants - all bought from the supermarket (T**cos if you must know) - on the kitchen window-sill, for some years now: each one lasts several months and provides a plentiful and healthy crop of herbs.

They like being well-watered but never water from above: stand the pot in a small bowl and add water to the bowl beneath - once or twice a day.

Oh, and another big difference with ...
Abitrary said:
... let them sit in the passenger seat of the car on the way home...
... I bring mine home on the bike! :smile: Usually possible to wedge the pot upright somewhere at the top of the pannier, so that the leaves don't get crushed.
 
OP
A

Abitrary

New Member
mickle said:
Mine used to die too until I started standing them in water rather than watering from above.
Pete said:
They like being well-watered but never water from above: stand the pot in a small bowl and add water to the bowl beneath - once or twice a day.
Aha, cheers. I was wondering why a big puddle appeared underneath immediately when watering from above
 

Cycling Naturalist

Legendary Member
Location
Llangollen
I must admit that I've rather given up on growing herbs from seed because it's so easy just to buy a supermarket plant, repot it and keep it in the greenhouse. The basil plants don't run to seed as much as home grown ones.
 
Top Bottom