basket causes accident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Saw an unpleasant accident on the way home. A woman was cycling downhill when she went over a bump in the road. Her basket flew off and she cycled into the basket and came off. :sad: She had a few nasty cuts and grazes, but she was ok. :biggrin: It looked pretty bad though. It seemed like a pretty stupid design of basket. :ohmy: It just hung over two rods. Looks like she lost her dinner too.:biggrin:

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
They sell those in Decathlon, right next to decent luggage and racks, they look like they're made out of two bits of bent wire coat-hanger.

Plax

Guru
Ouch! I think I'll be sticking to the panniers then, as least if they fall off they'll fall behind me!

hackbike 6

Whatever you do don't carry a biscuit tin with one hand while cycling on a BSA sit up and beg.

I did this in 1987 at Maryland and the biscuit tin got stuck between my knee and the right handlebar and I came off.The biscuit tin wasn't much use after and neither was I.

PrettyboyTim

A similar thing almost happened to me yesterday. I was going downhill and right-hand lowrider rack on my front wheel came loose and started making a terrible racket bouncing against the spokes of my front wheel. I slowed down and managed to get to the side of the road before it became entangled in the front wheel. It was somewhat terrifying as I couldn't pull over immediately as there were other cyclists to my left. It's odd - I swear I tightened the bolt that came free not long ago! I check it at the beginning of each ride now, and I intend to replace that bolt completely.

Keith Oates

Janner
I used a wire basket on my 'pub bike' when I was in China. It was well fitted with a steel base and it carried many heavy loads back from the supermarket without any problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Jaded said:
A knock to the head can do that.

She didn't get a knock on the head, which is just as well. It's just her carton of salad was thrown onto the road. I expect that's what she'd gone out to get, as she said she lived closed by.

jely

Yellow Fang said:
She didn't get a knock on the head, which is just as well. It's just her carton of salad was thrown onto the road. I expect that's what she'd gone out to get, as she said she lived closed by.

so literally lost her lunch then ey! poor woman - never nice having an accident... but glad she was alright!!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Rhythm Thief said:
I was carrying a mandolin in one of my panniers once when it fell off the rack and bounced along the road. It made a good noise!

:biggrin::laugh::biggrin::laugh::biggrin::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
For some reason this made me howl with laughter,,

Top Bottom