Basso and The Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
Wouldn't be surprised if Basso did beat Schleck, but my bet would still be on Andy. Nibali will win the giro and the vuelta I reckon.

miceal

Basso's ride on Monte Zoncolan in 2010 was a thing of beauty. While I have warmed (at last) to Evans, Basso was poetry in motion and Evans like an old dog that should have been put out of his misery.

If Basso were on top form at the tour, perhaps Schleck would struggle to drop him.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
If Basso were on top form at the tour, perhaps Schleck would struggle to drop him.

If Basso were on top form enough to beat Schleck I'd assume he was well prepared :evil:

Remember that AS all but beat Bertie apart from chaingate and Bertie was full of clenbuterol :biggrin:

OP
OP
raindog

raindog

er.....
If Basso were on top form enough to beat Schleck I'd assume he was well prepared :evil:

Remember that AS all but beat Bertie apart from chaingate and Bertie was full of clenbuterol :biggrin:
But the problem is, we don't know whether anyone's clean or loaded. How do we know Andy wasn't pumped up more than Berto? Personally I thought the whole Liquigas team looked suspicious in last year's Giro, their perrformances just seemed so amazing, yet no one was caught out, so we have to assume Basso was clean, what else can we do?

lukesdad

Im assuming they are all clean ( Im simple :blush: ) because if I dont assume that. The season is pointless to me as a spectacle, and anything meaningfull.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
But the problem is, we don't know whether anyone's clean or loaded. How do we know Andy wasn't pumped up more than Berto? Personally I thought the whole Liquigas team looked suspicious in last year's Giro, their perrformances just seemed so amazing, yet no one was caught out, so we have to assume Basso was clean, what else can we do?

Sorry, RD, I may have confused you me and everyone!

I think Basso is clean now and was at last years Giro. Starting from that position I don't see him beating AS who matched Bertie, when Bertie was doped. The jury's still out on AS as far as I'm concerned.

p.s. Yes Keith, you're right, I was being provocative!

Leaky gas are putting Nibali up for the Giro and I suspect he will be fully supported in their home GT.

Kreuziger and Pellizotti have gone so I'm not sure if this leaves them thin on the ground to attack 2 GTs.

We live in interesting times!

If anything unfortunate happened to Basso like an injury I wouldn't rule Nibali out of a Tour podium other than him targeting the Giro. He could certainly rise to the challenge.

montage

God Almighty
Basso's ride on Monte Zoncolan in 2010 was a thing of beauty. While I have warmed (at last) to Evans, Basso was poetry in motion and Evans like an old dog that should have been put out of his misery.

I think it would be great (but won't happen) for Evans to win the tour, for me he was rider of 2010...perhaps without Basso the giro would be a good bet

OP
OP
raindog

raindog

er.....
I'd like to see Evans get a GT win too, but I can't see it being this year's Giro - apparently it's even harder, climbing wise, than 2010.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Evans... can't see it myself. Basso for the Tour? I think he could, especially in the absence of Bertie. Is he clean? I don't believe that any of the main contenders are clean, it is just a matter of who is better prepared than others. But in some ways that's half the fun. They take their chances. We watch the show and wonder who will get away with it. Bertie almost did... but not quite.

I think (for what its worth) that it could be Schleck this year as he could gain time in the hills, mind you Basso's a mountain goat too so who knows.
The force is strong with them both
rolleyes.gif
but I also think it will be very very close, it could even be a draw
wacko.gif

What .......it could happen you know.

montage

God Almighty
I think (for what its worth) that it could be Schleck this year as he could gain time in the hills, mind you Basso's a mountain goat too so who knows.
The force is strong with them both
rolleyes.gif
but I also think it will be very very close, it could even be a draw
wacko.gif

What .......it could happen you know.

If that happen's doesn't it go down to stage wins?
Or positioning on the last stage?

iLB

Hello there
I would expect Wiggins to be right up there again this year, reading his latest book he was pretty devastated about last years tour and doesn't accept failure...

Top Bottom