Bastard Landlords Part II

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
There is no financial or economic incentive for landlords to care about how cheerful their tenants are, unless tenants are so unhappy that they are going to (a) trash the place, (b) move out. (Unless you have a string of properties it's not as though you care whether they'd recommend you to their friends, is it?) As 98% of normal people would not usually consider the former, and the latter is usually rated in the top ten most stressful life events, the average tenant will put up with a fair amount of shoot before the landlord even hears about it, never mind is materially affected by it
that isn't quite right. I pop round and see my tenants with no intention other than to brighten their day - and they always brighten mine. I always say - 'if you've got a problem, give me a call or send me a text - and it doesn't matter what time of day or night it is'.

If, as a result of all this brightness, they decide to sign up for another year then I'll be ever so happy. I'll save the agent's fee for finding a new tenant (about £650, which is 'cheap'). And I'll save myself the worry of having someone in who I don't know.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Perhaps not a solicitor, due to cost, but certainly CAB and the Council ttc. Mind if the landlord is being so difficult and the relationship has become so unworkable then a tenant has to get independent help, certainly wouldn't recommend withholding rent for anything trivial. Probably best to move if that is an option anyway- depends on lease agreement for break clauses due to unreasonable behaviour on either side.

Yes never a solicitor but as you mention above council, citizens advice etc.

This does highlight the imbalance that tc eludes to.
Landlords don't have to do sweet FA if they don't want to, especially in regards to repairs that legally need to be done.

Being a landlord can come with problems at the wrong hours and any responsible person would resolve them but then it becomes apparent who the money grabbing, cant be arsed types are...

Brains

Legendary Member
For all those that seem to have crap landlords/properties and are renting in the Private Sector may I suggest in future that you:

You find all properties via an ARLA registered agent, a decent agent simply will not take on crap property. (Don't go direct to the landlord)

You ensure the Landlord is NLA registered. (Ask for his number, it's easily checkable on the website)

If this was done by all tenants then most of the horror stories above would not happen (or if they did, at least you would have a higher authority to complain to)
Judging by the aricles in trade magazine 'Landlord Monthly' ARLA and the NLA go out of their way to deal with bad Agents and bad Landlords, they don't want them either.

No ARLA, No NLA, then don't touch!

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I pop round and see my tenants with no intention other than to brighten their day.

:girl:

Right on cue, seeing as Archie asked, one of my EoGoSFs. The other, of course, is Unkers.

It's a self-fulfilling thing, though - the only kind of Landlords whose appearance might brighten one's day are the kind of Landlords who would pop round just to brighten one's day. I haven't had many of those.

That's the ranty bit. If anyone wants a serious discussion, can it be about how to transform rent law and culture to end the systemic exploitation of obligate tenants by the parasitic landlord classes, please?

With me I've had various problems/good things down the years and I think a slight culture change could have changed the outcomes a little with perhaps some law changes? Some limited highlights.....

Incorrect Council Tax - Moved into an ex student house for a year, as the landlord had not been vigilent with exemption forms so when we left the council tried to bill us for a period of 4 years. Easily resolved with council (sent them rent agreement) but 2 months after moving landlord was still contacting me to 'sort it'. Each call had a polite rebuff from myself that it was sorted and it was down to them to be responsible for periods of time I wasnt living there. Maybe councils should be more vigilent in checking these things rather than allowing 4 years of non registration for free tax to build up?

Burst pipe - Luckily I was in but a pipe burst which was landlords reponsibility as on property, it flooded basement (which I cleaned myself) and no water for 4 days. Got a weeks free rent from that one and personally I managed thanks to free water from Yorkshire Water and the ability to shower at work, could have been worse for a family so perhaps the law could have some kind protection so that if a utility (gas/water/elec) becomes unavailable it must be repaired within a set time?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
And if you are a tenant ...

Could you please not make a cock up of your barbecue and set fire to the plastic drainpipe? And if you do so, could you please replace it rather than snapping off the charred remains of it and hiding them in the garage?

It would also be really good if you didn't spill various nasty make-up remover chemicals on the new bedroom carpet.

If you notice that the sealant round the bath has split, please let the landlord know so that they can repair it. This will mean that you don't have to live in a property with a damaged ceiling due to the amount of water you and your child splosh about at bath time.

When you sign a contract saying that you will forward any of the property owner's mail, please do not bin every single item of it. When you do bin the mail, please understand that important things like the reminder for the gas safety check will then not get read. That wouldn't matter so much if the managing agent did their job and arranged the check as they should have done, but it is nice to be kept in the loop rather than just getting abusive phone calls about people trying to 'murder' your baby with 'dangerous' gas appliances. (A 4 year old-boiler with a completely up-to-date service history.)

Please don't tell the council that you moved out of the property 4 months before you actually did because the landlords have to start paying council tax themselves after 6 months.

Rent ... It's that sum that you promised to pay once a month in return for being able to live in the property. When you tell the landlord that you have £20k in the bank towards a deposit on a house, don't then accuse them of trying to 'starve' your child when they gently remind you that haven't paid the rent for 3 months. If you tell the landlord to use the bond for one month's rent, kindly don't do more than that amount of money's worth of damage to the property. Also, please don't tell the landlord that you can't pay the rent because you are using the money to do up your uncle's property before you move into it, and don't accuse the landlord of trying to make your child 'homeless' when they point that out to you. Calling them a "f***ing money-grabbing cow" isn't nice.

Don't bring the building waste from your uncle's property and dump it on the rented property's lawn. It kills the grass and has to be disposed of by the landlord.

Er, don't threaten the landlord with a court case for 'illegal eviction' on a date 3 weeks after you actually left! If you are thick enough and mean enough to do so, it would be good idea not to tell all the utility companies that you left when you actually did!

Threatening and abusive text messages in the middle of the night don't impress.

When you sign a contract saying that you will not change the locks without permission - don't!

When you leave, take your stuff with you. When the landlord takes possession of the property after you have gone and changes the locks, please read the notice on the door which says that the locks have been changed and ring the number given to arrange to be let in to pick that stuff up. Please don't snap your key off in the lock, then go round the back of the property and smash a window to get in.

That's a young British family.

As for the Poles ... What happens when you let a different property to a Polish couple? The next thing you know they've got a few mates in and before you know it they ...

... are being polite and friendly to you and the neighbours, are grateful for being provided with an affordable place to live, don't make much noise, pay their rent on time, invite you round for a meal, look after the place ... bloody foreigners! :whistle:

Brains

Legendary Member
I'll save the agent's fee for finding a new tenant (about £650, which is 'cheap'). And I'll save myself the worry of having someone in who I don't know.

Blimey! Have you a special deal ?
It costs me the wrong side of a grand each time (plus the cleaning/inventory/preparation ....... call it two to three grand for a new tenant)

My experience of most but not all landlords is that they are crooks pure and simple. Alot of them do not even comply with the basics like fire detectors and prey on people who have no other option other than renting because they bought all the cheaper property to make money.

Housing should be precisely that not an investment for making money and whilst I have nothing against people making money of it the onus of the law should always be that houses are for living in not making vast sums of money at the expense of the greater good.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
For all those that seem to have crap landlords/properties and are renting in the Private Sector may I suggest in future that you:

You find all properties via an ARLA registered agent, a decent agent simply will not take on crap property. (Don't go direct to the landlord)

You ensure the Landlord is NLA registered. (Ask for his number, it's easily checkable on the website)

If this was done by all tenants then most of the horror stories above would not happen (or if they did, at least you would have a higher authority to complain to)
Judging by the aricles in trade magazine 'Landlord Monthly' ARLA and the NLA go out of their way to deal with bad Agents and bad Landlords, they don't want them either.

No ARLA, No NLA, then don't touch!

Thanks Brains, really useful, I'll pass on to my daughter who's just signed a new student let!
{Any properties in Sheffield by the way? :smile:]

Dan B

Disengaged member
the average tenant will put up with a fair amount of shoot before the landlord even hears about it, never mind is materially affected by it
I would really hope not, at least not in the private sector.
Tell you what, why don't you try asking some? I don't mean your own tenants, I mean your friends, relatives and colleagues who have chosen to rent instead of buying

But I bet you can't find any. Because in this country approximately nobody would choose to rent their home unless their circumstances precluded an outright buy. Why would you want your continued ability to occupy your own home to depend on the whim of another person with no obligation beyond 30 days notice?

Brains

Legendary Member
As for the Poles ... What happens when you let a different property to a Polish couple? The next thing you know they've got a few mates in and before you know it they ...

... are being polite and friendly to you and the neighbours, are grateful for being provided with an affordable place to live, don't make much noise, pay their rent on time, invite you round for a meal, look after the place ... bloody foreigners! :whistle:

Don't get started on the bloody Poles, move in and think they own the place, not only do they re-wallpaper the entire house (after asking permission first) they also re-lay the flat roof, upgrade the heating system, re-fit the bathroom and cheek of it all never charged me a penny!
What is more they keep the place so clean you could eat your dinner off the floor, they even pay up on time.
Not only are the bloody Poles like that, you want to see the Latvian s and Estonian s they are just the same! Workaholics the lot of them

I've 7 lots of Baltic tenants - I'd take all I can get.

e-rider

crappy member
Landlords don't like unhappy tenants.

In defence of Landlords you are borrowing a bit of kit that costs upwards of quarter of a million quid, as a landlord I expect you to look after my bit of kit and treat it with the respect it deserves, as the owner I'll fix what I need to to keep the value up, but don't expect me to turn out of bed at 3am because you have blocked the loo with nappies (again)

The house may be too expensive but you don't like the price of the beer, drink elsewhere. The Landlords are running a business and will get what the market will pay. Private house or Public house, Rent or Beer, same rules apply

Now what was the issue ? Perhaps we can help

it cost the tenants that much as afterall, they are actaully paying for it!

Brains

Legendary Member
Tell you what, why don't you try asking some? I don't mean your own tenants, I mean your friends, relatives and colleagues who have chosen to rent instead of buying

But I bet you can't find any. Because in this country approximately nobody would choose to rent their home unless their circumstances precluded an outright buy. Why would you want your continued ability to occupy your own home to depend on the whim of another person with no obligation beyond 30 days notice?

The standard STA agreement gives 90 days notice on either side after the first 6 months.
After the first year, you can sign a rolling STA which means that your tenancy is for a year at a time

I have tenants and friends who could buy, but choose not to, in this climate it's not a silly position. They are flexible, I am not.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I've had my fair share of shitty landlords and letting agencies but I love my current landlords. Since I'm unlikely to ever be in a position to afford my own home, then I'll be more than happy to stay here. I just hope they don't do anything silly like sell up.

the average tenant will put up with a fair amount of shoot before the landlord even hears about it, never mind is materially affected by it
I would really hope not, at least not in the private sector.

Depends on the circumstances in my experience, when I was living in shared accommodation either as a student or beyond it would always be the person who would put up with problems the least who sorted things, if they didnt care then often things would be left for ages. E.g. A house of 8 of us had 4 bathrooms, when we were down to sharing 1 shower due to various issues someone eventually contacted the landlord.

Now I live (rent) alone and am a little older/less drunk all the time, problems are always reported immediately!

Top Bottom