Bath Bristol Speeder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
To the 'roadie' tearing up the busy Bath-Bristol path in the vicinity of Saltford this afternoon, shouting 'Keep Left! Keep left!' at other cyclists . . .

. . . I do hope you werent anything to do with the child I encountered moments after, in the direction from which you came, limping, crying and clutching a grazed elbow . . .

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
If he was the guilty party and there is a next time, you just hope the small child is accompanied by a very large angry parent.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
If it was indeed him and he didn’t have the decency even to stop a child he hurt he could do with a lesson being taught to him.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I seem to be hearing “Coming through” “Keep left” or plain “Watch out” a lot lately. Cyclists‘ equivalent of blaring the horn.

Not really I use the first phrase often enough but don’t come past till I know they know I’m there. It’s not shouted either or “blared” at them. It’s the reality of shared paths that you’ll want to pass people and you need to make them aware of your presence. It certainly does not mean blasting through regardless.

C R

Guru
Not really I use the first phrase often enough but don’t come past till I know they know I’m there. It’s not shouted either or “blared” at them. It’s the reality of shared paths that you’ll want to pass people and you need to make them aware of your presence. It certainly does not mean blasting through regardless.
That's how it should be, but it isn't always.

Tom B

Guru
I have to say I prefer a "keep left please" as a direct instruction it avoids or at least limits the starburst / startled rabbit effect.

Of course there is a portion of of the population who don't like being told what to do even if they comply instinctively and hate themselves after.

D

Deleted member 26715

I just slow down even further, followed a couple for 1/4 mile on Saturday,

the_mikey

Legendary Member

Yes, absolutely this, unfortunately you'll be berated for whatever course of action you take, even if you call out or ring a bell. If you're rewarded for not shouting or ringing by not having difficult encounters with people then that becomes the default behaviour.

The B2B cycle path is insanely popular, I tend to avoid using it for fun in the summer, although I did use it once last month as an easy end to a hilly ride around the Cotswolds it's too narrow and too busy, I feel bad for anyone who uses it to commute.

rivers

How far can I go?
Yes, absolutely this, unfortunately you'll be berated for whatever course of action you take, even if you call out or ring a bell. If you're rewarded for not shouting or ringing by not having difficult encounters with people then that becomes the default behaviour.

The B2B cycle path is insanely popular, I tend to avoid using it for fun in the summer, although I did use it once last month as an easy end to a hilly ride around the Cotswolds it's too narrow and too busy, I feel bad for anyone who uses it to commute.

Commuting at the minute is too bad. It's quieter than usual. Even during normal times, if you're headed from Bristol towards Bath, it's a bit busy until Fishponds and thins out from there.

Johnno260

Veteran
Saw the same thing in the USA on Brooklyn bridge, guy on a road bike going across the bridge during peak time of the day except he was shouting in a more colourful manner, enter the tourists taking pictures and the same idiot stacking it and breaking a front wheel and forks.

Zero sympathy given.

I had some issue on a farmers road this summer, he allowed the public to use it, and we take the girls there as the only cars that use it are people who live on the road, anyway I saw a cyclist coming behind us so I asked my girls to come to the side, and turned and signaled for the cyclist to slow down, but no, he decided to speed up and thread himself between my child and myself, he stopped on a grass verge he was wearing flats not clip in pedals but didn't put his foot down and dramatically fell over, then threw his bike at my kid..... his father came along just as this happened and asked for cash for replacement shifter.... like hell I said sue me, my kid had a cyclic camera and I said take me to court and we shall see what happens.

Farmer saw this and has banned over 18's cycling here now, it's his road so he can do as he pleases.

My point? douche bags everywhere, so stay safe.

Top Bottom