Bath to Bournemouth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welshman

Anyone done this route, thinking of doing it there and back, with over night stop in Bournemouth.

Ajax Bay

Guru
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38701975?beta=false
Enjoy. If more time/distance, I'd cross the New Forest to Beaulieu (via Downton) and then cut back to Bournemouth.

New Forest, No wild camping, just don't get caught
I didn't - though as I bedded down could see cyclists whizzing past on a downhill cycle track - don't think they spotted me as concentrating too much.
Have heard tales of security cameras on trees!
Don't think I'd use a tent (OK - maybe the stealth snugpak ionosphere) just bivvi when sure going to be dry.
I left no trace.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I didn't - though as I bedded down could see cyclists whizzing past on a downhill cycle track - don't think they spotted me as concentrating too much.
Have heard tales of security cameras on trees!
Don't think I'd use a tent (OK - maybe the stealth snugpak ionosphere) just bivvi when sure going to be dry.
I left no trace.
I think that is "Jackanory" :laugh:

I think that is "Jackanory" :laugh:
I was told it on a certain cycling forum by someone who is quite local, seemed to know his stuff, had freecamped there a bit himself and was I think the person who suggested my actual bivi spot.
Maybe false memory but as I checked out the forest for that kip I think I may actually have seen signs in a certain area cautioning about cameras. If there are, god knows where the control/security staff are/how many miles away - and are they really going to set off in the middle of the night with searchlights to bring you in?

But I stress - single night only, arrived late, left early, left no trace - was sleeping on the ground little different than any of the animals - apart from the fact that I made several espressos in the morning before moving on.

albal

Guru
Yes. I would avoid the forest. I went: Blandford /round Gillingham /bruton/longleat/frome/ picked up the ncn route from there all the way to bath. Nice ride.

Top Bottom