Bath to Portsmouth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
Google maps suggests this as a route.
Google maps now does cycle routes.

There are lots of places to eat, but the closest is a standard Travelodge Pub literally a hundred yards away.... The advantage is a large area outside where you can sit with bikes

Here is a route for you to use a a rough guide, I have cycled most of it at different times, and does keep away from busy roads for the most part. There are in places more minor roads which get you to the same place. Distance is about 90 miles depending on which minor roads you choose to uses.
Hope that helps.

Bath to Rode via B3116.
Rode to Frome Via Beckington.
Frome B3092 to Maiden Bradley then Kingston Deveril
Kingston Deverill to Hindon via Monton Deverill.
Hindon B3089 to Wilton.
Wilton to Salisbury.
Salisbury Romsey via Alderbury, West grimstead, West Dean, Lockerley.
Romsey A27 to Eastleigh.
Eastleigh to Portsmouth Via Bishopstoke then B3937/B2177 to Bishops Waltham B2177 Cosham

PpPete

Legendary Member
from just south of Warminster the NCN 24 is an excellent quiet route running parallel to the A36. I'd use the A3094 to get round Salisbury though. The NCN24 is a bit "intricate" through Salisbury.

As an alternative to Bishop's Waltham & Cosham I think I'd consider going down through Stubbington and getting the Gosport ferry across to Portsmouth. Plenty of places to eat in Gunwharf (right as you come off the ferry)

from just south of Warminster the NCN 24 is an excellent quiet route running parallel to the A36. I'd use the A3094 to get round Salisbury though. The NCN24 is a bit "intricate" through Salisbury.

As an alternative to Bishop's Waltham & Cosham I think I'd consider going down through Stubbington and getting the Gosport ferry across to Portsmouth. Plenty of places to eat in Gunwharf (right as you come off the ferry)

I agree the Stubbington/Gosport Ferry route might be a good route as well

Top Bottom