Baton item

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeeW

Thought I'd make a thread to discuss the baton item (and if we are even going to use one, some people have suggested we don't)
Points to discuss:
Do we even use a baton item?
My view is that we should use an item, if anyone is not confident of passing it while moving then they can stop to pass it. Once we have riders chosen for each section the riders can communicate and decide if they want rolling or stopped passes.
What to use as the baton item?
Do we put a GPS/GPRS tracking device inside the baton item so it can be tracked in real time (although there maybe times when there is no GPRS signal)?

Hi Lee ... i think we should definately have a Baton to hand over to the next rider and i quite like the idea of using the drinks bottle as has already been suggested and i dont think it matters whether we do rolling or static handovers as long as the rider is comfortable is all that matters

As for the Tracking devises ? its all abit James Bond to me so i'l let those that know about these things decide on that one

Simon

bonj2

something that either fits in a water bottle cage, i.e. therefore probably a bottle, OR, something fairly small that will fit in a jersey pocket, but big enough not to get lost.

Garz

Squat Member
bonj said:
something that either fits in a water bottle cage, i.e. therefore probably a bottle, OR, something fairly small that will fit in a jersey pocket, but big enough not to get lost.

+1

It would be nice for a fancy hi-tec relay baton with built in gps but a track-able bottle seems the best contender so far! :biggrin:

Wigsie

Nincompoop
I liked the Jersey idea and it was my initial intention. But then I was wondering how we carried it... I for one would not like to be a scot and have to wear or wrap a sweaty jersey round my after 45 other people have sweated on it! Plus the whole pen/signing it thing may be a bit of a pain in the arse if its raining and dark and cold and you have to stop, find a pen and sign the thing, I struggle not to lose a pen at my desk so on a ride would be near on impossible.

A bottle gets my vote I think, its small relatively light and can fit a message/small item in it to be taken to JOG.

Wigsie said:
I for one would not like to be a scot

+1 :rolleyes:;):biggrin:

If the signing of a shirt is important to some why dont we all put our names on a piece of paper and pop them in the bottle and then after the event a commemorative shirt could be printed up with the names on it ?

Simon

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Jakes Dad said:
+1 :rolleyes:;):biggrin:

If the signing of a shirt is important to some why dont we all put our names on a piece of paper and pop them in the bottle and then after the event a commemorative shirt could be printed up with the names on it ?

Simon

Good idea.

Garz

Squat Member
Wigsie said:
Jakes Dad said:
+1 ;);):biggrin:

Simon

Good idea

+1
:sad:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Jakes Dad said:
+1 ;);)B)

Simon

Very good idea.

For the baton I favour a waterbottle and the GPS thing would be fun if a techie can sort out how we can all follow it on the CC site.

montage

God Almighty
A water bottle is so bland, boring and un-CC like.

What about a can of spam, or a pork pie, a hip flask of whiskey, or even a testicle shaver (presuming chuffy is taking part that is)

If we want to be really adventuruos why not all donate bike parts/funding to make a bike which ends up being ridden the whole route (would have to be really adjustable size wize!) ...... (ok this bit was a crap idea)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I do believe there are a couple of jerseys doing the rounds are present (the northern one was last seen north of Perth)...

PaulB

Legendary Member
A letter of goodwill from someone reputable at one end, rolled up and put inside the baton to be handed over to the recipient at the other end. A GPS might be a good idea until we remember the battery life of these things and remember that it could well fail.

Bman

Guru
Got to say, I love the idea of GPS. In order to make it a live feed, it would need internet access also (as well as battery power as previously mentioned). So may not be technically possible. However, some mobile phones *are* capable of the task, But I'm sure none would have the battery life on their own, to accomplish this. A non-live (recorded) GPS tracker may be slightly easier to achieve. It can be uploaded afterwards.

It doesnt really matter what the item itself is, but making it bottle sized so that it does fit into a bottle holder makes sence. Im sure we can think of something very CC. There is already a couple of good suggestions.

If the GBOWR is going to be involved, shouldnt someone ask them what their requirements are?

Top Bottom