Battaglin?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyh

Veteran
Hi Folks,

OK, long story but to cut short...

Holdsworth Trentino on Planet-X was pointed out to me and I thought 700 notes, what's not to like, I'm in the market for n+1, n currently being 3, but my commuter is 8 years old and will be relegated to pub bike :smile:

... then I decided I wasnt sure about the look, and if it doesnt "do it" for me, I wont love it.

So I looked around and was pretty much decided on a Planet X Pro Carbon SL at 999...
But I read good things about Cube on here so decided to broaden my horizons, and to date have looked at many and various including Verenti, Cube, Felt, Planet X etc..

Now, the good lady has given me permission for n+1 (bless her), and I have just seen this...
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/battaglin-pro-team-105-2013/
Battaglin Pro Team. Looks a fine bike, but not a "brand" that means anything to me...

Use wise it will be used on the local circuit as I give a bit of racing a go, Sunday rides and the odd summer day commute. I will likely swap out the wheels for my RS80's and stick the Racing 5's on my Trek 1.7, and then that will do most of my commuting.

So, thoughts welcome on this bike, or if anyone has an opinion on it v the Planet X.

Cheers all,

Johnny

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Battaglin was a premium make in the 80's and early 90's.

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
I guess that it will be a name plastered onto a generic 'Chinese frame', same as pretty much most bikes sub 2k, and a name owned by some company somewhere.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Had a gander.

Seems vgvfm & as it is a lesser known brand (than the big players at least) it appeals to me.

Also been on the Wiggle site today looking at the Colnago Strada SL.
It's featured in a group test in Feb issue of Cycling Plus.

The Colnago comes in with 2nd lightest frame (all are aluminium) pipped to the post only by the Cannondale Caad 10.

At 1351g for a medium frame it is comparable to many carbon frames.
This is offset a little by having the heaviest fork - carbon/aluminium 660g.

Spec is similar to that of the Battaglin with part 105 & it's reduced to £959 from £1199.

The Team Wiggle Honda colour scheme is cool too.
Just another option - if you can live without carbon.

I noticed on the Battaglin Spec sheet - the frame & fork are listed as constructed from T800, which is high end Toray 800 grade carbon. So good news there.

I have recently read a feature on Carbon that states as long as there is some (could be a small part of the frame) High Modulus (T800 is) carbon - a manufacturer can claim it's HM or T800 for example.

Nothing new there really & my Sintesi is T800 frame & fork - it's both light & comfortable but I expect not built 100% from HM T800.

Good Luck Hunting.

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
that Colnago is a nice looking bike for sure, but that Battaglin is speaking to me a tad more :smile:

But for some wierd reason the Planet X Pro Carbon keeps shouting at me. gah!

One of the people I ride with has a Battaglin C12 which is the same bike, just a 2012 model. He loves it. His does not have Shimano on it though, it is campag but I cannot remember what level it is. He has upgraded the wheels to campag Shamal Ultras that cost nearly as much as the bike, but it is a pretty looking thing and he has done a fair few thousand miles on it with no complaints. I must admit I am a little biased as I have on older steel Battaglin frame that I am fixing up at the moment!

vickster

Legendary Member

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Many bikes come out of the same mould. DeRosa have one that's exactly the same as the Ribble Stealth, guess which is vastly cheaper !

It's a bit more common than what we used to call 'off the peg'. I.e. Pre built steel frames, rather than hand made for you.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
My "old" bike (now my commuter) was a Trek 1200 which I suspect had very similar geometry to your 1.7

I found the "fit" on the RT-57 almost exactly the same with regards the 1200 (58cm Trek to XL RT-58), and the buying experience from Planet-X was first rate (unlike my previous experience of Ribbles take on "customer service").

AndyRM

XOXO
I've heard lots of grumbles about Ribble... is it really that bad?

Love the look of the R872.

Nope. But then people's experiences differ and they become entrenched on either side of the fence. My Ribble Evo Pro arrived perfectly set up with just a twist of the bars needed before I was away. It was a couple days later than expected because I'd asked for fancy wheels which were not in stock at the time.

The R872 looks absolutely awesome. Go for it.

Edited to add that I hadn't checked the spec of the Battaglin. You get a bit more bang for your groupset buck there. Not full 105 but not far off.

Personally I'd go with the Ribble and look to upgrade bits as and when. Or go mental on the Bike Builder...

Top Bottom