BB / Chainset spacing...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

Is the chainset on the right supposed to be closer to the chainstay than the left hand crank ?

As it feels like my right foot is closer to the centre line of the bike than the left one which feels like its further away than the right ! !

If I take the c.set off, the axle is shorter on the right side compared to the left side.

Isnt it supposed to be the same ?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If you have an Italian bottom bracket you may have put it in the wrong way round, the fixed cup should be on the left. If it is English you can't and I wouldn't worry about it, it is probably your lower body which has a serious physical deformity. Do you tend to veer to the right as you walk?

Measure the clearance between the cranks and the chainstays, it should be the same each side. Unless you have a serious physical deformity of course. Or incredibly large genitalia in which case the side that 'Sir dresses to' should have extra clearance in mm to match ones manhood inches.

Brock

mickle said:
.... Or incredibly large genitalia in which case the side that 'Sir dresses to' should have extra clearance in mm to match ones manhood inches.

Hmmm better get the welding gear out Yenners :smile:

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

I dont beleive I have a - serious physical deformity

The BB is a 'fitnforget' shimano...

I feel the axle is non-equidistant (not of equal lengths either side) which some are...

I'll have to look around for one that is so that, never mind measuring you can plainly see if you look hard that the chainset is closer to the c.stay than the LH crank..!

I've seen other bikes similiar (production/off the peg) so its not just this bike - axle/c.set combo Ive got, either !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't forget BB shells come in 68mm and 73mm widths which if you fitted the wrong size would mean the offset. Lots of different axel widths, but if you get the shell size wrong, then the centre will be out.

Just measure the width of the shell ! Then check what's printed on the BB

llllllll

Just to add a bit more confusion to the issue, a lot of frames have asymmetrical chainstays because the drive side has to avoid the chainrings.

llllllll said:
Just to add a bit more confusion to the issue, a lot of frames have asymmetrical chainstays because the drive side has to avoid the chainrings.

no they dont a very few have them!!!

and his wont

fossyant said:
Don't forget BB shells come in 68mm and 73mm widths which if you fitted the wrong size would mean the offset. Lots of different axel widths, but if you get the shell size wrong, then the centre will be out.

Just measure the width of the shell ! Then check what's printed on the BB

It will be a 68mm shell unless its a GT mountain bike. Or a unicycle.

Top Bottom