BB30 replacement bearings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leaway2

Lycrist
I am replacing my BB30 bearings. The NDS is absolutely shot. There a various options. Removal was easy so I am not interested in Praxis etc. The bike has done over 8000 miles, mainly commuting 5 days a week in Manchester. If I can get the same again I will be happy.
The options are a bearing kit from CRC/Wiggle et al, buying the bearings from Ebay or going to Simply bearings. If I do go to simply bearings, which 6806 option? Or is there an other option?
Does anyone have any experience on what not to buy?

Deleted. OP not interested in what I said.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Leaway2

Leaway2

Lycrist
6806 2RS bearings are all you need.
(The 2RS refers to 2 rubber seals on each bearing. Keeps the **** out)
Just done the same job myself.
Press firmly in and away you go.
You can buy a press for £10 on ebay, or make your own.
So simple to do.
I have all the gear. I was looking for recommendations on which bearings to buy or more, which not to buy.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I've fitted Enduro branded bearings a few times in the past in hubs and bottom brackets. Always seem to be a quality product that fitted perfectly and not had any failures yet so my recommendation would be for their standard bearings (not tried fancy ceramic or other exotic variations).

si_c

Guru
Edinburgh Bike Coop have a bearing kit for £21 which seems reasonable to me including delivery.

I'd be tempted to get a bearing kit like that or one from Wiggle just to be sure that I'm getting the right one, I'm not sure what the difference between a 6806 or 68062 bearing is and can't be bothered returning things when I make an error.

OP
OP
Leaway2

Leaway2

Lycrist
Sorry. Only trying to help.
Wish I'd never bothered.
Sorry, didn't mean to be dismissive.

OP
OP
Leaway2

Leaway2

Lycrist
Hambini, (the patron saint of bearings) always recommends NTN bearings
I recommend Aire Velo Bearings as the place to buy them
Yeah, I've seen Hambini (aged 5). His assertion that a lot of bearings are sub standard counterfeits is interesting and makes the choice even harder. They are so expensive though and I wonder if a leisure cyclist like me needs the top of the line. Oh the agony 😞.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Leaway2

Leaway2

Lycrist
I've fitted Enduro branded bearings a few times in the past in hubs and bottom brackets. Always seem to be a quality product that fitted perfectly and not had any failures yet so my recommendation would be for their standard bearings (not tried fancy ceramic or other exotic variations).
I think the Enduro is the route I will go. Assuming BB30, did you refit the seals and wavy washer or buy new?

OP
OP
Leaway2

Leaway2

Lycrist
Edinburgh Bike Coop have a bearing kit for £21 which seems reasonable to me including delivery.

I'd be tempted to get a bearing kit like that or one from Wiggle just to be sure that I'm getting the right one, I'm not sure what the difference between a 6806 or 68062 bearing is and can't be bothered returning things when I make an error.
Thanks Si, I'll check it out.
Edit: it is interesting that they sell the kit with bearings, seals, etc £3 cheaper than just the bearings :wacko:.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
Avoid careless bearings, it usually (but not exclusively) indicates cheapness..
I always try to fit SKFs but best avoid unbranded ones, you have no idea of their quality, origin, anything at all.

Top Bottom