BB5 brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
Just collected my new Boardman Team CX and alls good but for the brakes which are sticking the front wheel. Is it a simple case of balking off the cable a little? Seemed ok at first but i may not have noticed. When i spin the wheel there is resistance, they were good at the shop but think they may have over tightened?

potsy

Rambler
Check the front wheel is seated correctly before you start adjusting anything :okay:

potsy

Rambler
Not sure what you mean by 'tightened the headtube' was just thinking you may have taken the front off to put it in the car or something.
BB5'S are not the easiest to adjust but there are some videos on You Tube, BB7's would have been better as you can adjust both pads, I upgraded my bike to those after a few months just to make life easier.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
The Allen key bolt on top of the headtube handlebar thingy, am I calling it the wrong thing? The forks were rocking slightly

Yeh I've heard the brakes can be a pain but for now they are just too tight and need slacking

lpretro1

If it is brand new then you need to go and ride it to bed the brakes in - don't start messing about with them. It is not unusual for new disk brake pads to have a bit of 'rubbing' - after a bit of good heavy braking they'll nicely bed in. Don't fanny about - give it some welly :smile:

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
argh, they are still too tight, its like riding with the brakes on but i dont have a Torx T-25 driver, is there no way of loosening them just for a ride out?

potsy

Rambler
argh, they are still too tight, its like riding with the brakes on but i dont have a Torx T-25 driver, is there no way of loosening them just for a ride out?
You can back off the side that moves with the red dial, the torx is easier but not essential.
If it's the other pad that is binding then you'll need to loosen the whole thing and line it up again.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
thanks potsy, just found a torx i did have one, backed off the screw at the back of the brakes when seeing if it was the right driver and that seems to have done the job, it probably needs doing properly but im happy its good to ruide
going for a longer ride today so will give it some attention afterwards it will probably need setting up after bedding in anyway

thanks

Top Bottom