BB7 overhaul, new rotors?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When it comes to replacing rotors, will any 160mm 6 bolt rotors do, or do I need to stick with Avid's offerings for the BB7?

My rotors are not overly worn, but I want a spare set for my winter wheelset, so I was thinking of swapping them out with some new ones, and cleaning the existing set up for my winter wheels. Any thoughts?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
So a separate set of wheels with discs? Or just setting it up with new discs so you start with new rotors for the winter when you get more wear?

I only ask because my BB7s (on 3 bikes) have about 4000km use each and are nowhere near replacement. If anything they just keep on getting better. Pads definitely worth replacing if need be.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I have a set of BB7 rotors that I bought in 2007, on my current MTB, these have seen off 3 previous bikes and two sets of brakes and calipers

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I don't know if the sun got to me or maybe I have just been cooped up for too long without going for a big, long, hard bike ride?
Today decided to take the mudguards off the hybrid ready for the summer (I don't usually bother???) and one thing led to another. Before I knew it the bike was given a (quick) wash and then noticed one of the rear brake pads was down to the metal.
I knew the rear disc was getting seriously thin so already had a new disc and pads waiting to go. Cleaned out the XT caliper before pushing back the pistons. All good now and new disc should last another 18,000+ miles.

View attachment 410000

View attachment 409998

Measured thickness of old disc and it is only 1.1mm! Min thickness stated on the new disc is 1.5mm :laugh:

View attachment 409997

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
So a separate set of wheels with discs? Or just setting it up with new discs so you start with new rotors for the winter when you get more wear?

I only ask because my BB7s (on 3 bikes) have about 4000km use each and are nowhere near replacement. If anything they just keep on getting better. Pads definitely worth replacing if need be.

Right, so I've got two wheelsets, one built around reinforced Rigida Sputnik touring rims (very heavy) the other DT Swiss XR 331 (very light!), I built the second set recently so I could run tubeless tyres and shave off some unwanted weight. However I decided to keep the Sputniks with some Marathon Winters for when the mercury begins to dip. The discs were whipped off the old wheelset and installed onto the new. I've not yet noticed any significant wear so have no need to discard them. I haven't run bare metal on them yet ;)

I was thinking of buying some new discs, so I can put a pair on the winter wheelset so I don't have the hassle of moving the discs over, so I was wondering, do I need to stick with the Avid brand, or will any 160mm rotor do for the BB7s?

Jody

Stubborn git
I was thinking of buying some new discs, so I can put a pair on the winter wheelset so I don't have the hassle of moving the discs over, so I was wondering, do I need to stick with the Avid brand, or will any 160mm rotor do for the BB7s?

Any discs at the right size will do. You can get Avid copies off e-bay for next to nothing. Been running them on my MTB for a few years and had no issues.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Right, so I've got two wheelsets, one built around reinforced Rigida Sputnik touring rims (very heavy) the other DT Swiss XR 331 (very light!), I built the second set recently so I could run tubeless tyres and shave off some unwanted weight. However I decided to keep the Sputniks with some Marathon Winters for when the mercury begins to dip. The discs were whipped off the old wheelset and installed onto the new. I've not yet noticed any significant wear so have no need to discard them. I haven't run bare metal on them yet ;)

I guess so long as all the bolt holes etc line up and are compatible anything will do (adhering to the advice above) Most shops will confirm by phone if ok.

Or...

You could be terribly anal (like me) or lack the confidence like I did the first time I replaced rotors and just go with what’s on the wheel set already.

ALSO: Old disc rotors make the best wind chimes. Suspend an old wheel in the horizontal position and hang rotors from the spokes so they bump against each other in the wind. Lush.

Top Bottom