1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BBC against cycling

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by cupoftea, 15 Aug 2007.

1. cupoftea

cupoftea New Member

The BBC have decided to warn a Blue Peter presenter for appearing at a pro cyling press conference with London mayor Ken Livingstone

It's good to know where the BBC stand

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6947857.stm

I suppose this clears the air with the whole 606 forum, and why they did it.

2. Regulator

Regulator Treachery is noble when aimed at tyranny.

NO - the BBC told her she shouldn't be attending a political event (not a cycling event) as it breached their neutrality requirements. Given that she ignored her bosses and that Ken Livingstone then went on to make some unnecessarily snide political comments whilst she was on stage with him, it's not surprising the BBC are pissed off.

3. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Yup, that's how I read it.

4. CotterPin

CotterPin Senior Member

So will this mean that the Hovis Freewheel event is political and anyone who attends is a pawn in the mayor's hands? Have there not been other occasions when BBC presenters have appeared on platforms with politicians to promote events?

This sounds like a traditional Brian Coleman rent-a-rant (who I believe has something of an anti-cycling track record).

5. Regulator

"It was felt that the BBC and the programme should not be linked with anything that might be construed as campaigning, and that this campaign potentially fell into that bracket."
    (From Mark Byford's letter)

The BBC were astute enough to know that Ken would not be able to resist using what should have been an apolitical launch as a political platform, particularly as he is a non-cyclist with a cyclist (Boris Johnson) challenging him politically. They were right.

6. Cab

Cab New Member

So if an event is pro-cycling but attended by a politician, BBC childrens presenters shouldn't attend becayuse the politician can't be trusted to keep his gob shut? Sorry, but thats quite clearly a load of balls.

7. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Seems to me the Beeb are being overly cautious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

9. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

Ken used the platform he had to make political statements. simple. she should not have been there.

10. zimzum42

Jokey banter, like the nazi camp commander thing?

Ken should really have a think, if that's not political point scoring, then i don't know what is........

11. Regulator

My comments on Ken's letter to the Times has been published:

Click

12. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

Seems to be rather a parochial issue. Although it would be a good idea to increase the level of cycling in an area which has the lowest level of regular cyclist in the UK.

13. Cab

Cab New Member

Ridiculous. Because someone else chose to make it political a celebrity whos say might sway children to take up cycling shouldn't be there? Whatever happened to the greater good?

14. zimzum42

It's not so much that she shouldn't have been there, but he should not have said anything political.........