BBC car jumps red light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
 I just watched a recording of the 6:00 news on BBC1 and they showed a trailer for tonight's Panorama. The car containing the camera crew was driving towards a pedestrian-controlled traffic light at which a pedestrian was waiting to cross. The lights were showing amber when the vehicle was about 50 yards away and changed to red when it was about 20 yards away. The pedestrian was hovering nervously, fortunately having spotted that the car showed no sign of slowing down. Sure enough, it went straight through the red light. I wound the recording back and watched it in slow-motion to confirm that I hadn't imagined it. Nope, the driver just blatantly drove straight through.

It was about 20 minutes into the news programme. It might be shown again at the start of Panorama.

I know drivers do this kind of thing all the time, but it surprised me that the BBC editor didn't spot what their driver had done and cut it out.

I had a local driver almost run over my toes the other day. She was so determined to jump a red light that the pedestrian signal had gone to green and I was halfway across the road by the time she shot past. I screamed OI, THAT'S A  RED LIGHT, MADAM! in her ear as she went by but at least she had the decency to look thoroughly embarrassed...   :angry:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I read about somewhere in Africa where it was decided that traffic lights would be reintroduced. A soldier was stationed on each corner of the intersection with instructions to raise his rifle and aim it at approaching cars as the lights changed. The operation went amazingly smoothly!

I travel to Nigeria about three times a year and a couple of years ago when Lagos State got a new governor, the first thing he did was to send somebody out to replace all the bulbs in the traffic lights. On my next trip I was amazed when the driver stopped at a junction and waited respectfully at the lights, which I had never seen working before. But in Nigeria it's not so much a sense of civic responsibility that makes the lights work as the knowledge that if you do jump them you will be stopped and a couple of traffic wardens or Police will unload your wallet while delaying you for half an hour.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
It's not a ped crossing, looks more like a standard junction which he had already started to cross when the lights changed. Nothing wrong with that.

It's not a ped crossing, looks more like a standard junction which he had already started to cross when the lights changed. Nothing wrong with that.

That's what it looks like to me too. We can't see it from the vid but the car would have crossed the stop line on green or amber. If its the latter OK its not perfect (if it was safe to stop) but its that grey area and not really a offence.

thomas

the tank engine

+1...look above board :smile:

Did you see that clip last night about Cycle Super Highways on ITV? I Think (Last Night)(6pm?)....Cyclist reporter reporting on super highways and gets so far to find he is blocked by a van....The he says nothing for it up on to the pavement...I hope he was joking.

What twattish reporting though.

U

User169

I read about somewhere in Africa where it was decided that traffic lights would be reintroduced. A soldier was stationed on each corner of the intersection with instructions to raise his rifle and aim it at approaching cars as the lights changed. The operation went amazingly smoothly!

I travel to Nigeria about three times a year and a couple of years ago when Lagos State got a new governor, the first thing he did was to send somebody out to replace all the bulbs in the traffic lights. On my next trip I was amazed when the driver stopped at a junction and waited respectfully at the lights, which I had never seen working before. But in Nigeria it's not so much a sense of civic responsibility that makes the lights work as the knowledge that if you do jump them you will be stopped and a couple of traffic wardens or Police will unload your wallet while delaying you for half an hour.

In Pakistan, the driver I was with only stopped if the Police very obviously were armed; otherwise, he just kept going.

Top Bottom