BBC iplayer trial

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonesy

Guru
I've been failing to get the BBC iplayer beta trial to work:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/

It is a real pain in the rs to install, with endless upgrades needed to Windows Media Player etc and have still failed to get it to work. The main problem seems to be (surprise surprise :blush:) with the Digital Rights Management system. So far I've only been able to download a single programme (taking over 4 hours for a 60 minute programme) and it won't play. Anyone else tried the iplayer? More importantly, has anyone got it to work?

papercorn2000

I downloaded the episode of "Waking the Dead" that I had missed and, much like yourself, I faffed about upgrading this and reconfiguring that (and the bugger won't work in Firefox) and I STILL couldn't get it to work

So I am beginning to come round to simoncc's views re the BBC!

barq

I imagine it will be subject to some big changes given that the BBC are now having to make it available for operating systems other than Windows.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I spend an age when I first installed it trying to get it to work. Nothing did the trick.

Then later I went to watch something on 4OD, and found that it no longer worked. I know both apps share the Kontiki kservice and khost exe files, so I uninstalled and re-installed 4OD. It then worked, as did the BBC iPlayer !

Always worth a try if you had 4OD on your machine before the BBC iPlayer.

domtyler

Über Member
goo_mason said:
I spend an age when I first installed it trying to get it to work. Nothing did the trick.

Then later I went to watch something on 4OD, and found that it no longer worked. I know both apps share the Kontiki kservice and khost exe files, so I uninstalled and re-installed 4OD. It then worked, as did the BBC iPlayer !

Always worth a try if you had 4OD on your machine before the BBC iPlayer.

I must be getting old, I haven't got the faintest idea what you are babbling on about!! :blush::blush::ohmy:

twowheelsgood

The service is pap, the resolution and quality is bad, it's slow, the restrictions are annoying and I can't use it outside of the UK.

So bittorent it is then. I got 45min doctor who episodes in less than half an hour sometimes. Not that I'm condoning such behaviour you understand

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
domtyler said:
I must be getting old, I haven't got the faintest idea what you are babbling on about!! :blush::blush::biggrin:

Nah, old is when you fail to get to grips with how to play the Yu-Gi-Oh card game which your 7yr-old daughter thinks is pathetically easy. :ohmy:

I even went online and tried an interactive tutorial, but I got hopelessly lost and confused in about 3 minutes.

She is not pleased that I can't play it or appreciate the electronic version on the DS Lite either...

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I'm on the "other" BBC trial. It's plagued by similar but lesser problems. I had the laugh of it saying a couple of times that I couldn't access it because I didn't live in the United Kingdom just like people have had on the iPlayer trial.

OP
OP
jonesy

jonesy

Guru
Cunobelin said:
You need to update both internet explorer and media player

Indeed you do, then you have to update the various DRM thingies, then you have to update IE and the media player again, then you have to update the security again, then you have to try uninstalling then re-installing the iplayer, having deleted the downloaded programme that you couldn't play because the DRM wasn't up to date, so you start at square 1 again! The message board on the iplayer 'help' pages seems to have lots of people with a similar experience.

I think I'm going to give up with until a better version is released; don't watch much telly anyway, it was more out of techno-curiosity that I tried it in the first place.

Top Bottom