BBC Radio Scotland- Cycling discussion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grendel

Veteran
This morning on the Kaye Adams show. Anyone hear it?
I did get on, sadly I didn't get to point out that cars owners pay Vehicle Excise Duty, not a road fund licence.

Grendel said:
This morning on the Kaye Adams show. Anyone hear it?
I did get on, sadly I didn't get to point out that cars owners pay Vehicle Excise Duty, not a road fund licence.
Missed it, is this the show and any idea what time the cycling discussion is?

OP
OP
Grendel

Grendel

Veteran
I arrived at work at 0930 and it had already started.
Can't access it on work computer unfortunately.

snorri

Legendary Member
I heard it, they had Alan Douglas on:sad: he is a cyclist he told us, but admitted his bike has not been out of the garage for some time. He had a moan about the cyclist who held up the "traffic" at roadworks as AD drove to the studio. Roads are for cars he said, not for cyclists. Cyclists should be out in the country away from the traffic he said. Segregated paths are great for cyclists, he said, I love to see them on these paths.
Kaye Adams put up some sound points in favour of cycling as did another guest.
I can understand the need to have someone on who will provoke a bit of argument and discussion, but AD failed completely to offer any constructive criticism of cycling or the policy to encourage cycling by 2020, only revealing his lack of understanding of transport issues in general, or determination to bury his head in the sand.
(I hope this does not give the impression that I see AD as being anything other than a fat petrolhead a fine sort of chap.;))

snorri said:
I heard it, they had Alan Douglas on:sad: he is a cyclist he told us, but admitted his bike has not been out of the garage for some time. He had a moan about the cyclist who held up the "traffic" at roadworks as AD drove to the studio. Roads are for cars he said, not for cyclists. Cyclists should be out in the country away from the traffic he said. Segregated paths are great for cyclists, he said, I love to see them on these paths.

(I hope this does not give the impression that I see AD as being anything other than a fat petrolhead a fine sort of chap.:smile:)
He's a cyclist ;) I must of missed that part.

snorri

Legendary Member
HLaB said:
He's a cyclist ;) I must of missed that part.

Yip, it was right at the start. He said a similar thing on a tv prog some time back, he and his wife had bikes which they took out for a run in their car occasionally, I remember it well.:smile:
I composed a note in response to four of the clangers he dropped in his introductory comments and emailed it in.:smile:

lit

With stubborn people like that, I think their minds will never be changed, they just want to remove the solution to traffic and not what causes the traffic in the first place.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
It was also discussed here.

killiekosmos

Veteran
If I recall, Alan Douglas has a face best suited to radio!

Magnatom - I suspect you were not invited on to a radio show as you are considerd a cameraman.