BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mondobongo

Über Member
Well the BBC kept nominations quiet for this one have just seen the 10 Contenders on BBCi. Two athletes one of whom is rather suspect, two boxers, two rugby players a golfer, racing car driver, motorbike racer and a tennis player.

Not a solitary mention of cycling or indeed a cyclist.

Melvil

Have you got the list, then?

Can tell you now who wont be in with a chance out of the list.

Calzaghe - not shown on BBC/Welsh

Hatton - not shown on BBC/Ugly

Murray - Tennis/Scottish

Ohuruogu - Very Dodgy

Rose - Golf for heavens sake!

Toseland - not shown on BBC.

And out of the rest Robinson and St. Johnny will split the vote for English rugby.

So realistically its between a boy who came second and a new mother who's running again! :biggrin:

Melvil

Perhaps this year Adrian Chiles can question Paula Radcliffe in the same patronising style as he did last year with Nicole Coole, e.g:

'Do you ever get worried you'll lose your balance and fall over in a race?'

...not likely!

Frazer

People who don't deserve it:

Robinson + Wilkinson: Got to the world cup final after a string of lucky results playing ugly rugby. Then lost to a far superior team. Neither player played that well, and Robinson missed most of the games!

Lewis Hamilton: Did well, but came second. His rookie season so he's got plenty to look forward too. Plus I think hes an idiot for bringing out an autobiography at age 22.

Murray: Has he achieved anything great this year? Rose up the world rankings but didnt really win anything major....his brother would be a better candidate after winning the doubles at wimbledon.

Rose: Same reason as Murray, hasnt really won anything noteworthy to the general public.

Paula Radcliffe: What?? She missed most of the season after having her baby and has won a couple of races since, but still not the runner she once was

Toseland: Perhaps a decent nomination, but a bit of an unknown to the general public.

Ohoruogu: Seriously? A woman who 'missed' drugs tests to win? She should be banned for life.

So that just leaves the two boxers, I personally would go with Calzaghe, Hatton if he beats Mayweather.

Anyway, just my opinion, great British sportsmen seem a bit thin on the ground recently.

Melvil

Frazer said:
People who don't deserve it:

Robinson + Wilkinson: Got to the world cup final after a string of lucky results playing ugly rugby. Then lost to a far superior team. Neither player played that well, and Robinson missed most of the games!

Lewis Hamilton: Did well, but came second. His rookie season so he's got plenty to look forward too. Plus I think hes an idiot for bringing out an autobiography at age 22.

Murray: Has he achieved anything great this year? Rose up the world rankings but didnt really win anything major....his brother would be a better candidate after winning the doubles at wimbledon.

Rose: Same reason as Murray, hasnt really won anything noteworthy to the general public.

Paula Radcliffe: What?? She missed most of the season after having her baby and has won a couple of small, unimportant races since.

Toseland: Perhaps a decent nomination, but a bit of an unknown to the general public.

Ohoruogu: Seriously? A woman who 'missed' drugs tests to win? She should be banned for life.

So that just leaves the two boxers, I personally would go with Calzaghe, Hatton if he beats Mayweather.

Anyway, just my opinion, great British sportsmen seem a bit thin on the ground recently.

Agree with everything you say except Paula Radcliffe - dude, the New York marathon isn't that small or unimportant, surely??

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I'd fight Paula's cause as well!! Coming back from Sproghood to win the NY marathon is a pretty phenomenal acheivement. Sad there's no mention of Victoria Pendleton though.

snorri

Legendary Member
Wot no footballers:?:
Well that makes a pleasant change.:biggrin:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Paula Radcliffe certainly deserves it. I don't think Lewis Hamilton is undeserving of it either but he is young and as frazer said bringing out a biography already is ridiculous (although in a sense he's already had a racing career). Nothing wrong with coming second the incredibly annoying Sterling Moss came championship runner up four years in a row, Fangio came 2nd in his first ever championship and still went on to be the greatest.

TVC

Don't get the Ohuruogo bit myself, if they want an athlete who has come back from a drugs ban to excel and be a great ambassador for clean sport then surely Mr Millar is the man.

I do have a feeling that next year will give great exposure to cyclists. With the UK athletics team terminally underperforming, the swimmers in meltdown and the rowers rebuilding the only place Olympic medals are going to come is at the velodrome. The BBC are already grooming Vicky P as a presenter and Bradley is always good value on the telly, so I think that the 'Great British Public' may all turn out to be closet cycling fans next summer.

gpx001

Über Member
Hmmm, an interesting 'final 10'
I would probably go for Calzaghe, Hatton or Toseland as they are all at the top of their game and have been so for a while.

girofan

Melvil said:
Perhaps this year Adrian Chiles can question Paula Radcliffe in the same patronising style as he did last year with Nicole Coole, e.g:

'Do you ever get worried you'll lose your balance and fall over in a race?'

...not likely!

Chiles, "Do you think Paula that you will take a piss in public in every future race."

Radcliffe, "Only if there's a 'Nuts' snapper around."

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
The Velvet Curtain said:
Don't get the Ohuruogo bit myself, if they want an athlete who has come back from a drugs ban to excel and be a great ambassador for clean sport then surely Mr Millar is the man.

There is a difference - there is no suggestion that she ever took drugs. Same as Tim Don (triathelete). But not like Millar who was caught red-handed, or indeed not like Thanou or Rasmussen who were both involved in bizarre cover-up antics. But there's still no way she deserves to be on this list as she still broke the rules.

Calzaghe for me by quite some distance.

Top Bottom